Digikam and ART

I admit that this is not my usual way of proceeding. Indeed, I sort and process RAW with Art. Then, once the jpgs have been edited, I catalog / tag / class them with digikam.
It was just to report my compatibility tests between the two software.
Thank-you for your prompt response!

hmmm
 I just tried, and for me everything works also for jpgs. Digikam seems to store the metadata in the xmp sidecar, and ART picks them up. I don’t know what might be the difference with your setups, I’ll dig deeper

the time you were looking for, could you give me a screenshot of your settings in ART and digikam please?
Thank and Sorry for the inconvenience!

Here are the relevant screenshots:

@agriggio don’t you think it’s potentially dangerous to write metadata also in the raw file itself? Isn’t there a risk of file corruption?
Personally I disabled the options to write in the raw file/item, to have metadata written only in sidecars.

Indeed I agree with @sguyader. My raw files are actually read only.

yes, I never do that, the settings were to replicate what @carafife had. but I think digikam doesn’t write to raws unless you explicitly tell it to.

1 Like

Good evening,

Apologies for reviving this old thread.
I have the same problem of synchronizing ratings between Digikam and ART, I am using DigiKAM 7.1 and ART 1.8.2 (in Ubuntu 20.04 if it matters). My goal is to review and rate my photos with digikam before treating them in ART. I tend to shot Raw+Jpeg.

I played around with some JPEG, and found that ART creates a “photo.xmp” besides the “photo.jpg” file with metadata if no xmp file is created before. Digikam on the other end writes the sidecar info on a “photo.jpg.xmp”. so if ART has created the photo.xmp first, ART relates to this one and will ignore the new sidecar file created by digiKam (with the new rating).

Hope the above makes sense. So what would be the way around this? There is an option for cleaning the metadata in DigiKam, but not sure what it means. Happy to carry out further investigation if it helps.

Thanks for the good work, just discovering ART and open source photo software, really enjoying it.

Laurent

ART and DigiKam can play nicely with each other. In ART under settings you can change it to create a file in the format Name.extension.xmp so that Digikam reads them.
You could, as an alternative, change Digikam to create files in the format Name.xmp if that is easier.
Sorry on my phone so can’t show screenshot but hopefully that helps

Here you go;

Alberto also made a video on how to do this here:

Hello,

thanks very much for the screenshot and the link to the video.
Yes it now works once set-up as per video.

@agriggio
You can read key words created in digikam with ART but not the other way around. Is this normal behavior?

What kind of keywords are you referring to exactly?

For example

In ART

In Digikam

My experiences are:

1. I add keywords to Raw files in DigiKam, which are stored in xmp files.
  2. These keywords don’t appear in the metadata settings in ART. Star ratings set in DigiKam do appear on the file browser in ART though.
  3. When I export the files, the keywords, assigned previously in DigiKam are exported to an xmp file alongside the output file, that digiKam reads.

This works fine for me, I think DigiKam is an easier place to be adding keywords, you can add them quickly to lots of files at a time, arrange them in sub categories, and select ones that you have already used.

It would be a lot of work to duplicate this level of functionality in ART

I’ll take a look. Do you have “synchronization mode” set to bidirectional?
In general though if you use digikam or another dam to manage your metadata it’s probably safer to not modify the tags in art. I can tweak what art does, but I have no control over other tools
 :slight_smile:

Indeed, and I have no plans to do this. That’s why I’m trying to make sure that art can play nicely with external tools for metadata handling

I have synchronization mode set to bidirectional.
I am guessing that ART isn’t displaying the keywords set in the xmp file in the raw file under the metadata tab. Perhaps there would need to be an additional xmp tab in the metadata tab to display the contents

But tbh, ART plays nicely with DigiKam already, I am not convinced it is worth the extra work

1 Like

I also encounter synchronization problems with the stars and the colors and despite the fact that I apply your video tutorial I cannot reproduce

@carafife I don’t know if it is helpful to you to know, but just looking closer, any changes made to ratings or keywords in ART doesn’t register in Digikam (Well for me anyway). In ART, ratings from DigiKam are displayed but keywords aren’t.
But ART does carry through any settings from Digikam to exported files.
My aproach is to do keywords and ratings and sorting in DigiKam first then just use ART for raw edits. Does that work for you or is that not working either?

1 Like