DigiKam: edit tags from file?

Hi there,

Is there a file where digiKam stores its tags definition?
I have quite a few tags and I want to change many of them, and if there is a text file I can edit with a text editor the operation would be much faster then within digiKam.

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/using-setup.html

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Digikam 6.0.0 (which is still in beta) will re-read xmp sidecars if they were modified. The sidecar files can be edited in a text editor. You can try a beta3 appimage, macOS package or windows installer from files.kde.org/digikam

1 Like

Thanks, @Andrius

I’m not quite sure to understand. The sidecar file is related to the raw file, whereas I’m trying to figure out how to edit all the tags I’m using in Digikam by editing a theoretical file where Digikam supposedly stores the tags information.

@Claes
Thanks, I’m looking at that page but I can’t seem to find any info for a file to edit.

Well, if you are not used to fiddling with databases, then please don’t.
You can destroy a year’s work in Nullkommanix (as our German speaking friends so beautifully put it).

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I would rather re-arrange tags in digikam’s own tags manager. Any manual editing of the database file can corrupt it.

2 Likes

Ok, so to answer my question there’s no text file but a database to deal with. Yes, I’ll skip it.

Yep. The database can be either SQLite or MariaDB. You would have to be very comfortable with databases to edit either one

1 Like

Are you sure? My digikam version 5.3 uses SQLite as default.

Sorry I meant to type SQLite not MySQL

Thanks for confirming, Andrius.
Not for me then :slight_smile: