digiKam needs Folder Tree navigation Capabilities

Although I have not yet installed it, I have just now downloaded the new digiKam 7.3

digiKam is a wonderful program for what I use it for; mostly keyword tagging all of my finished images.

There are two weaknesses in digiKam that keep me jumping back and forth between digiKam and FastStone and XnView.

1. Maybe I have been using digiKam wrong and the ability has been there for years; but, if so, I sure have not been able to find it; if I want to perform an operation on a single image or a whole folder full, I can find no way to navigate to said image(s) via a folder tree; I must move the image(s) into a folder that is already associated with digiKam, perform my task, and then move the images back where I want them.
    With FastStone and XnView, I can navigate right to the image(s), do my work, and move on.

2. Earlier versions of digiKam would remember the last folder I navigated to in the add-a-folder dialogue.
    The last two versions I have force me to navigate all the way from the beginning every time.
    If there are three subfolders in a parent folder that I wish to include as “collections” (which will never be called collections again, but will from then on be known as “albums”), even though these three folders are right there together, I am forced to start at the beginning and re-navigate for each folder.
    Like I already said, the earlier versions would remember where I had been.

Considering #1. above, if there is some means of navigating via the folder tree, I wish someone would enlighten me.