digiKam on Linux and wsl view

I installed digiKam from the repository savoury1/digiKam on a Linux 22.04.1 running with Wayland. This package also installed the wslu (collection of utilities for the Windows 10 Linux Subsystem) package.
That caused a strange gnome / nautilus behaviour: the disks displayed in the dock do no longer open windows. The trash icon do. The same problem has the gnome-extension Places. On a click, I see in the status bar a turning wheel, but no windows opens. Via the sidebar of the windows I can call the locations without problems. The icons in the dock also show the dot for the open window, but they do not open it themselves.
After the deinstallation of the wslu package everything was back to normal. Digikam runs also without problems.
What does the package wslu actually do? Is it really necessary for digiKam?

When you install from a ppa, you accept whatever that ppa maintainer declares is necessary, be that right or wrong. That particular ppa has a lot of software in it.

TBH I feel like you’d be better off with a flatapk at this point.

@bildbaendiger Am a bit curious as to why you’re using Wayland. Which Linux desktop environment are you using (e.g., KDE Plasma)?

From what little I’ve read about Wayland it sounds like it’s not quite ready for prime time (vs X11). Always eager to learn more about such choices.

I using Ubuntu with Gnome. (I tried KDE but it was a little bit of a mess with ubuntu and then i could use Kubuntu instead).
I use Wayland because it was the only way to work in Gnome with two monitors with a different resolution. I am quite happy with it and it runs without problems. (exept this one)
And you are right, paperdigits, a flatpak would be a better solution. I am new with Linux and I struggle a little bit to find the right option to install a program.

1 Like

Feel free to ask what you need here, we have a lot of knowledgeable people. digiKam also has an appimage, for which you don’t need to install anything, just download the appimage, follow instructions and you should be good.

Thanks for your answer.
I have the feeling at some point to lose track of which program was installed and how. And the fear of burdening my system with unnecessary programs. Or like now, if something is installed in addition, which it does not need or even collides.
An appimage contains all libs and is therefore safer but also bigger. Right? But I can not simply update an app image, I have to download a new one and delete the old one, right?
Is an installation via a repository the variant if you want to have everything together in one overview and don’t want to worry about updates?
Or what would be the best recommendation for a newbie to still keep track of the system?

Right.

Right

Yes, but you may end up with something like you already have.

Its really about what you’re comfortable with. When I was using a lot of AppImages, I had a folder in my home directory called “Applications” where I put all of them. Occasionally I’d check for an update. For flatpaks, I have an alias in my shell which runs system update command && flatpak update.

Great, thank you very much for the info.
That makes some things clearer.

1 Like