digiKam showing PSD thumbs but not Krita .kra thumbs

Back in January 2016 I was having trouble getting digiKam to display Krita .kra file thumbnails and previews, but eventually figured out what additional software to install, plus I had to open and save a lot of .kra files so they all had embedded png previews:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=130341&p=348605&hilit=digikam+kra#p348605

Here it is a year and a half later. I’m using Krita 3.3.1 and digiKam 5.7.0. DigiKam isn’t showing any .kra thumbnails (much less previews) for any of the 30 or so .kra files that I put in a test folder for digiKam to put in the database.

Gwenview does show thumbnails, which indicates that I do have at least some of the right libraries installed. But which thumbnails are shown changes every time Gwenview is opened. And only once was I able to see the preview after clicking on the thumbnail. I don’t mean “just for one .kra file”. I mean “only once for this one particular .kra file, and never again”.

digiKam doesn’t show any thumbnails or previews for any .kra file that I’ve tried.

Is anyone able to see Krita .kra file thumbnails and/or full previews using digiKam? If so, could you, would you please please share any relevant configuration and/or required installed libraries information?

If not, is there some other free/libre DAM software that can show Krita .kra thumbnails?

As an aside, a long time ago I used PhotoShop and I still have a few PSD files left on my computer. I find it peculiar and somewhat unnerving that digiKam can reliably show PhotoShop thumbnails at least for PSD files that were saved in “compatibility” mode, but it can’t show Krita .kra files, at least not on my system.

Krita is free software (I don’t mean “as in free beer” though also it is that). PhotoShop is not. So it seems to me that digiKam really, really, really ought to be able to show thumbnails for Krita .kra files. Again, hopefully the problem is not in digiKam per se, but in how I set up my system, or my database, or something.

Just pinging @Andrius to see if maybe he might know something…

@patdavid - thanks!

Perhaps @rasimo might be able to help as well.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about that functionality and I don’t even have enough time (and/or sufficient coding speed/knowledge) to do the stuff where I already know my way around more or less - we need more C++/QT/SQL-savy enthusiast to help out.
That was a completely irrelevant (small) rant: TLDR I can’t help, sorry.

1 Like

http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digiKam-5-7-0-doesn-t-show-krita-kra-thumbnails-td4704185.html
I wish there was a way to merge nabble/digikam and digikam @ discuss.pixls.us …

As I noted over in the digikam nabble thread, I give up. I’ve already spent too much time trying to get digiKam to show krita kra files. I’m fairly sure something isn’t correctly set up in my Gentoo system. But as no-one seems to have any insights, there is a time to say “Stop, it’s not worth the time already spent, and surely not worth spending more time.”

Yeah I bet it is not that easy to find anyone in the open source photography community who is familiar with Gentoo.
Appimages usually help when you dealing with unresolved dependencies but looks like the component that reads kra isn’t a part of the appimage.

I might know a little bit about SQL. Is there something in particular I could help with?

It is/should be in the AppImage, but it doesn’t work and Gilles (does the AppImages and many/most other things) doesn’t seem to know why: 372568 – Krita (.kra) thumbnails are not showed

There is a problem with representing/adjusting/updating (?) tag trees in the mysql database (triggers). Unfortunately I don’t know anything about sql, so I didn’t understand what the problem is exactly and I haven’t investigated it on the C++ side of things (yet). The most recent short discussion I remember doesn’t come to any conclusion/action plan:
http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/State-of-the-MySQL-support-td4703620.html
If that means anything to you and/or ideas pop up, any addition to the discussion would be welcome.

Investigating this problem (adjusting tag trees) from the C++ side of things is something I want to do for a long time, but it is also one of these things which is pretty complex and thus takes a lot of time and has a high risk of ending unfruitfully due to giving up in frustration :slight_smile:

1 Like