digiKam vs Showfoto

I have (2) questions.

1. What is the difference between digiKam and Showfoto
  2. If just using digiKam as an organizer for photos, can Showfoto be deleted to save space on hard drive if Showfoto is not necessary?

Using Windows 8.1

What is unclear in the docs: digiKam - Documentation

Maybe we can help improve them.

I don’t think you can remove showfoto.

Why? What? Is your HDD thàt small that you must have one single executable removed? No idea how much real estate we are talking about on Windows, I’m not familiar with that OS but it cannot be more than a couple of raw files worth of disk space…

Here are the (2) questions I asked:

1. What is the difference between digiKam and Showfoto
  2. If just using digiKam as an organizer for photos, can Showfoto be deleted to save space on hard drive if Showfoto is not necessary?

Can you help with either of them?

I appreciate your concern regarding my HDD, but I can assure you its is plenty big enough. No matter how big the drive is, I don’t see any reason for having a program on there if its not being used. If it can be removed, its just that much more space I have. Maybe you could let me know how much disk space it does take up seeing as you feel its only a few raw files worth.

Thank you

OK I wont remove showfoto to be on the safe side, but can you tell me the difference between showfoto and digikam?

Thank you

“A stand-alone image editor version named ShowFoto is also available. It runs without digiKam images database support, but provides all Image Editor functions.”

Its on the page I linked. You should familiarize yourself with the documentation, it will answer a lot of the questions you have.

After looking at the showfoto manual am I correct? It appears that there are parts of showfoto that are integral with digikam. When I look through the digikam manual, I do not see any information about showfoto, however after looking at the showfoto manual, I see windows that appear in digikam that are part of showfoto. Am I correct?

I’m used to film so this is all new to me.

Getting there…
Thank you for your help

1 Like