Digital zone system

I just saw the following video regarding the digital zone system based on Photoshop and using a plugin. I think this method of editing can be easily achieved using the parametric masks of darktable. What do you think? I’m particularly interested in the “color zone system” discussed in this video.

I thought that dt already has a zone system module.

Yes but the method presented in this video is more sophisticated than the zone system iop. Also the “color zone system” needs parametric masking of colors which I am not sure how should be done in Lab space using the darktable’s tone curve.

Could you link to the timestamp where it is presented in the video? Or give a better, more concise, example of this? I watched 5 minutes and he didn’t get to it yet.

Tonal zone system:

Color zone system:

Basically he creates different (10) curve adjustment layers each masked with a specific tonal/color range (zone). Then he plays with the value/R/G/B tone curves of each zone independently. darktable’s zone system doesn’t give you the freedom to edit tone curve of each zone. Also the equivalent of the color zone system in darktable could be the color zones iop (with less freedom).

I see what you mean. I think the dt tools are adequate. Using LRGB curves for every zone and primary and secondary colour is more in the realm of an image editor rather than a raw processor. E.g., this guy is using PS, not LR or ACR. It would be clunky to do this in those apps. Does that make sense?

GIMP+G’MIC has the ability to do this. This person’s actions do the work but with some setup in GIMP you could do the same thing.

2 Likes