discussion around collection-filters improvements

Well my point is that a one time pref change cannot be considered as something that breaks someone daily use or workflow.

Agreed - the old functionality (and preference) was re-introduced because the originally designed solution broke people’s workflow. This is often the case, that new functionality is added to replace the old, people prefer the old way and so it is re-introduced as an option. The same was done when the legacy ratings filter was re-introduced to the collection filters module as an additional filter option.

Perhaps more users are happy (I use the legacy versions of both of these because I prefer them) but functionality (and testing) becomes more complicated to accommodate all those options. I’m not sure I have a solution to this but I can see more such options having to be introduced in the future, and these options are an important part of the discussion.

Agreed ! And indeed I don’t have a good solution. We can choose and enforce one single way of working but will get plenty of complaints, we add more options… and we get also plenty of complaints that there is too many options :slight_smile: The move from global preferences to module preferences has been done to mitigate that, but again there is complaints.

I’m really crossing fingers on this thread to be sure we will converge somehow to some solution that will please most of us.

Sure, we need more users to come here and speak about their usage…

Yeah. I’ve thought a lot about how to improve this stuff and I still have nothing.

I totally missed them because that is not how other preferences are implemented.

Personally it doesn’t make a difference to me whether we have per module preferences accessed via each module’s hamburger menu or we have one giant global preferences window (?) But we really need to be consistent.

1 Like

I like the new ratings & label filter selector interface very much. Makes culling and working from large collections way better than before. I could live with ONE incarnation, preferred as a horizontal bar. The current duplicate as “collection filters” is confusing and not neccessary in my opinion.

Workflow:

Rule No.1: do not customize the interface, takes too long to transfer to new install

That said … I ingest images with a bashscript I wrote years ago. It does sort the images into folders by date & camera, creating hashsum files for automatic integrity-checks.

Another script to assign unique archival numbers to the folders plus renaming the files.

darktable:

• remove all images
  • import the project folder(s) I want to work on

I rarely have two or even more projects in dt at the same time. But a project can be anything from 2 to 100 folders with only a handful up to thousands of images.

• assign all styles (no automatics, see rule no.1)
  • assign basic metadata (location, project keywords, …)
  • close dt
  • open terminal, run _$ for x in 0 1 5 8; do darktable-generate-cache --min-mip $x --max-mip $x; done
  • go for a coffee. or two. or three.
  • return sufficiently overcaffinated, open dt, start culling

The pregenerated views are the only way of getting true instant image switching, especially when comparing images at 100%. In my book a must - before I found out about the cache-generator and what it does for culling mode, I hated working in dt.

• culling means mostly assigning ratings
    • 1: to be deleted
    • 3: keepers and preselection
    • some of the 3stars get a color rating right away, e.g. for press, gallery et.al.
  • assign rating 2 to all previously unrated images
  • filter to 1star, move files to separate folder outside the project, remove from dt

At this point I have a very workable set of images, the trash is gone, the rest is rated. Now the fun begins: getting those images into usable groups for galleries, pick the single best ones and so on. And for that I mostly rely on three components:

• the timebar
  • collections by tags or folder, rarely anything else
  • filter by stars AND color labels

Sorting is pretty much exclusivly for capture time.

In the end my export notes look something like this:

• GREEN and >=3stars == press coverage
  • (BLUE or YELLOW) and >= 3 stars == reportage gallery
  • NOT RED == full export for customer

And those can be put into a collection (with preset), so they are reusable. But getting there requires the flexibility of the filter bar.

PS: Ratings 4 and 5 are reserved for timeless quality images.

3 Likes

Did anyone actually make complaints about the old recent collections module?

A single way should be enforced if it is oft used by many users and superior to the alternate way. The alternate way for recent collections has been to collapse it into history button and have the option for uncollapsed state in a menu that is not likely to be found - this is certainly regression for those who use it. So the question is, did many use it? If not, then this solution is understandable. If so, then we should revert to the old way.

Based on discussions in this thread it seems to me many used it, but maybe steps were taken to determine how heavily it was used before implementing changes, and it was found actually not many used it? If changes were made without determining this then its a good time to reconsider, now Alic is asking for feedback.

The only way to gauge that sort of thing is comments on the pull request / feature request or issues raised after the fact (or discussions like this one). Any poll would just be a small self-selected sample of users anyway and couldn’t really be representative.

1 Like

Forum polls/discussions like Alic started here may not represent all users, but does help give a wider perspective. They don’t have to be after the fact if the question is about how useful people find a current feature.

Lets not get side tracked. The requestion for suggestions were made and I feel Soupy’s (Tim) post was made within that spirit. For me the long list of recent collections was difficult to navigate and took up lots of real estate (but that was just my experience). Now we have a history, which I presume does the same function, but I like it and use it a lot. I am just sharing my opinion so that developers can see what people like and don’t like. Then the generous developers can decide what is worth implementing and coding for. Lets not be critical of people sharing their opinions here as that is what the post requested.

Lets all have a good day and keep supplying our constructive suggestions and experiences here. I love this forum for the professional level of respect that people have for each other. Thanks Terry

Remember, I am not the one who intentionally took the discussion down this track. I am simply responding to those who replied or quoted me. And I have only ever done so in a calm, rational, respectful manner. If people think this is a side track, they can simply stop responding to me.

In regards to your use case for the history button - when recent collections is collapsed, it takes up exactly the same amount of room as the current history button - so it shouldn’t effect your screen real estate any differently. (In terms of screen real estate, the only people who benefit from this change are those who also keep collections module collapsed). It will cause one extra click if you constantly collapse and expand it - but anyone doing that would just leave it expanded - which gives one less click. So the way I see it there are three use cases:

1. Use recent collections often. Keep it expanded always. 1 click to open collection. (Benefit: Fast for regular use).
  2. Use history button. 1 click to open history, 1 click to open collection. (Benefit: Save screen real estate. Only a benefit if you previously left recent collections expanded - but anyone who did that actually used recent collections a lot - so for them it is no benefit, as they value fast regular use over screen real estate. For everyone who just left recent collections collapsed, there is also no benefit).
  3. Use recent collections the same way one would use current history button. 1 click to expand recent collections, 1 click to open collection, 1 click to collapse recent collections.

If your use case is 3, then 2 is a better solution, because it has same real estate for less clicks. If your use case is 1, then 2 is a worse solution, because it has more clicks. But I suspect most people with use case 3 did not use the module very often - therefore the one extra click saved by use case 2 is not really a big deal to them. However the people with use case 1 did use the module very often - so the extra click created by use case 2 is a big deal. So IMO, the current default (history button) is catering to people with only a casual need for it, whereas it should be the opposite (recent collections) - catering to people with a constant need for it. Only people who use recent collections often but are happy to sacrifice fast use for screen real estate would prefer 2 over 1.

Of course we can have whichever we like with the other one being in preferences - but this discussion began because people don’t know its there.

I am 100% on your side. You have done nothing wrong by posting your view. I am only recently started using the history button and for me it works well. Again I am only sharing my experience supporting the history button. DT is loaded with so many features and options and there is often more than one way to achieve the same outcome, so I totally respect your method and viewpoint. My comments were not criticising your viewpoint.

I am actually impressed with how DT’s image management options seem to be improving or maybe I am just taking more time to learn about what was already there.

BTW, I rarely like to see options and modules removed from DT. There may be sometimes when the implementation, coding or maintenance of a module means the developers need to delete the module, but I find the more options the better. As an example defringe module is meant to be deprecated and replaced by ‘better’ modules, yet I can find a few images where defringe works better than the new modules. That being said, the new chromatic aberration modules are a great addition to DT. The good part is that DT developers rarely if ever remove past modules.

have a good day and I look forward to more posts by you and I agree having the recently used collections module would be a nice option to retain for those who want it. I would explore its use again after your constructive suggestions here.

1 Like

I will stick to the main point.
My typical photos are vacations. And I end up shooting a lot. Last 2 vacations I shot 10k for each so I have to sort 20k of photos.

My 3.8 approach was.

• import with RPD to a folder and then from the folder move to DT. For collections I only use folders (and sub folders).
  • Once imported - I was using star rating - less than, greater than and number of stars with meaning
  1. one star initial setting
  2. two star and up - a keeper.
    I was going through the photos on groups - adding stars and processing - so I was constantly switching (with shortcuts) these menus in order to select what I am working on - in terms processing).
    Once a set was selected to be processed - I would use color labels - (yellow - must process, red - processed - done, green hdr, panorama)

In 4.0 - I changed my approach.

• Still use import from RPD to a folder and then to a permanent folder.
  • Still use the folder structure to organize my pictures by year / event etc.
  • Adopted the new filter - color coding the pictures - yellow - must process, red - final, green hdr / panoramic

I should say (on the positive side):

• the 4.0 is a considerable improvement for me because I like the ability to fast filter by color.
  • I like the ability to use logic on the color selection - and / or - like red AND yellow or red OR yellow. The math symbols don’t bother me.
  • I like the ability to drag between the stars to include subsets like 1-2 stars 4-5 stars etc.
  • I like the ability to define more complex searches in collection filters. Typically once my presets are done (and I don’t have many) - the collection filters is closed and I only use the hamburger to access the short cuts.

On the top menu - active all the time are

With the first 2 items - (the new stars and the color coding) being used 99% of the time.
Search is also often utilized (and I just realized it can search tags - and I have a few of them and do utilize them.)

My struggles (that is what I had challenge with or can be improved on).

• I did not comprehend initially that the new stars and the old stars are independent of one another (separate filters).
  • I did not perceive correctly how the top bar can be organized (or re organized). This would be the “pining” functionality.
  • Since I was trying to utilize hot keys (in order to mimic 3.8 behavior - but on the new stars) - I was unable to achieve it (and at the time I did not know that there are 2 completely different filters related to stars).

Since I understood the behavior - I leaned more on the mouse and the color selection and this appears to work well for me.

Final thoughts - I see the new development as a considerable improvement. While I did struggle for few days - at the end I can see a lot of benefits in the new approach.

Once new tools become available - people can change their habits (or workflow in the case).

And a big thank you to the developers! Your work is very much appreciated!

in my opinion it’s worth to differentiate between collections and filters.

1st dimension: collections to group related stuff:
From my point of view collections are a tool to order my image library. Not just as physically done in directory structures, but on demand by date ranges, tags, customers etc.pp. Current implementation gives a lot of freedom to do so. So a collection is just a bunch of image that i want to deal with in a specific context.

2nd dimension: workflow/task oriented filtering
Filtering the stuff within one collection is primarily to achieve a subset of the collection on demand. I don’t want to change the collection just to hide already edited stuff or rejected or even lower rated images. filter can be set, changed or reset on demand.

so of course combining both dimension in one tool can be done, but then we need spend more effort on how a filter pipe can be organized to keep it simple …

3 Likes

I also use the color filter a lot, though technically this was implemented before (and originally separate from) the collection filters module (see here). IMO for the ‘workflow based filtering’ that @MStraeten mentions, that change was a significant improvement and with a nice simple implementation.

I maybe a bit lost but collections (below)
deals with the physical location
or logical (like this)

I used the same approach to have multiple criteria (and I can see the math symbol “and” is already present here)

But we can use collection filters to filter for the color - in essence - temporary filter (color) on top of the more permanent filter of the collection.

So - in a sense - they are separate because one acts on the “collections” the other acts on “collection filters”

If the collection filters tab is closed - then we have physical on the left and logical on the top. So in essence we do filter logically the “collection” (regardless if it is physical or logical).

One confusion a user can experience would be a more elaborate filtering like this. So there is a double restriction within the collection - both folder and color label - to yellow in the case (and a further restriction on the top to purple in the case).

So - logically it is correct - the filters display exactly what is selected. But the user perception can be affected (the user may not realize what they are asking the filters to do).

I think both collections and collection filters have benefits. But - how can they be simplified to help the user not to get confused?

For now I am using a mixture of both. Collections as a first step and then collection filter constantly changing depending on what I need.

Edit: this isn’t meant to be a complaint fest or overly negative, none of it has been bad enough to make me jump ship. Just some rough edges in my workflow. I do appreciate the work that goes into this program after all!

Workflow:

I have a curated directory structure based on subject eg:

• 000_Screenshots

• 000 through 0XX_Application_Name
  • 001_Models

• 000 through 0XX_Model_Name
      * 000 through 0XX_Job_Date
  • 002_Clients

• 000 through 0XX_Client_Name_Date
      * 000 through 0XX_Client_Job_or_Event
  • 003_Personal_by_Year

• 1999 through 2022
      * 01 through 12
      * 000 through 0XX_Meaningful_Name_Place_Event_under_the_month_etc

and so on

I don’t bother with RPD or renaming files as my cameras have custom names set, mostly with my initials as that’s a hold over from when I used to second shoot a lot. This application agnostic directory structure is mostly a result of me hopping RAW processors a few times over the years. XMPs are stored in the appropriate sub-directories with their photos.

I use the add to library button after that. I find the new post 3.6 dialog to be a bit frustrating as the tags and meta data are no longer handled in the import dialog but in the side bar so if you’re like me and importing a few different directories at a time you have to remember what you’re doing before you open the dialog and select the directory. Where as before I could go “oh, that’s this thing or job I need x, y and z tags or a, b or c metadata preset.” I drop back out to the application a lot to edit that after opening the import dialog. Where as before I could just edit in the dialog.

I mostly just find the collection filters sidebar module to be redundant ant taking up extra real estate. I’ll use the collections box to narrow down a search (eg, in this directory and has this tag). I mostly use a 0 or 5 star rating system with reject for things I want to throw away. I’m a binary kid of person. The photo is either good and gets to be edited (5 stars) or meh and can be ignored and/or purged later (0 stars). If it’s blurry or of my feet while I’m walking or something it gets rejected out of hand. I don’t really use the color filters, I tried to work with those a few times but just never got them to stick in my work flow. Seems like there could be an easier way to exclude things from the top bar instead of having another module to take up space on the side bar?

My biggest beef with the new top bar is the selection interface is obtuse. It’s not evident you need to click and drag, the old drop down was a bit more clear and straight forward IMO. Maybe I’m an idiot but it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out.

Anyway, hope that’s some useful feedback. The UI isn’t the worst ever but there’s a lot of two and three different ways to do the same thing and non-obvious ways of interaction IMO. I really dislike how the import has been handled with how I work but it’s not really world ending either. Would just like an option to have tagging and presets back in the dialog proper.

I considered it like… the collections module filters the images in the database to get, say, a group of images you want to work on together (I use a simple directory structure and work a directory-at-a-time) and the top bar was a temporary filter on the current view (to manage culling/editing workflow within that collection).

I see what you mean… Yes - I use it in such a way too (most of the time). I have maybe one instance when I utilized the “collection filters” for wider range (but it certainly can be done with the “collections”.

I agree with this. When I said it should be one or the other, not both, what I really meant is that they both should not perform the same task - so there is no duplicate of function.

Ie. Ability to filter by rating (or anything else) should either be available in collections, or collection filters, but not both.

Collections is for your subset of images (folder, film roll, etc), filters is for more specific criteria (rating, label,etc) within that collection. There are some things that could be available to both (tag, date), but the main thing, if we have two different modules, is that you can only select one thing in ‘collections’ so all filtering is done ‘collections filters’.