discussion around collection-filters improvements

One more thought. On my screen (27", 2k), the filters I use (defaults of rating, label, search, sort) take up only half the top panel, and there is absolutely no need for me to have them also available in the side panel. Others have mentioned a hamburger menu in the top panel, an idea I like. Here’s how I imagine it to work: All possible filters are listed in the hamburger menu. There is also a button beside each listing to duplicate the filter (eg. you would use two instances if you want to search “and” this term, “not” that term). When selected, the filter gets added to the top panel. Selected filters have a dot next to them in the hamburger list. To remove from top panel, simply click on the dot in hamburger menu. This would allow to remove filters from side panel entirely.

I see two possible problems with this:

1. Not enough screen width in top panel for all desired filters.
  2. Need to display and/or/not logic.

Solutions:

1. In preferences, user can select whether they want side panel filters, top panel, or both.
  2. include and/or/not logic in top panel.

Here is a dodgy mockup to demonstrate the basic idea:

Of course it is not a big deal for me to keep collection filters closed all the time in side panel, I just put it here as something to consider.

Today I was playing around with the collections filters and the ability to set ‘new rules’. I like this module and how I can choose to pin to the top bar if I want, but there are some strange choices for new rules while some more obvious ones are missing. I would certainly like to see some more options added here. This is what Lightroom offers (and no I am not asking the developers to simply create a free version of LR). But I have found some of these options useful in the past. I don’t know what is involved in adding more rules to the filters in DT and appreciate the work done so far by the developers.

First, thanks to all posters, for the very interesting idea/comments done so far.

Completely agree. and even more that your following explanation, in a more generic way, this allow to separate the “filtering” in 2 parts, whatever the workflow. This esp. allow user to use the power of the presets and history for the steps independently.

Yes, we know. Removal of the “recent collection” module for NOT a goal at all, but more a consequence of the other changes :
Now that we have 2 modules in the left panel to determine which image will be shown in the lighttable, we have also 2 “history”. Keeping the “recent module” as it was imho very confusing (why the filters doesn’t appears there, etc…) Hence the decision of putting it under a menu with an “history” button in each module.
Then some have raised the issue that this has made more difficult some workflow (1 more click, impossible to work with the collect module collapsed, …).
To mitigate that issue, we have proposed multiple solutions, all rejected… hence the “fallback” to the “half-hidden” option in the menu.
Let’s self-quote the solution that I prefer :

For the hamburger menu in the topbar, I like that idea too. The question is : if we do that, is the lateral filter module still useful ? Compiling the ideas you provide and some of mine :
++ Simplification of the interface
++ allow to put back recent collection without the risk of misunderstanding

– we’ll loose the ability to use “and/or…” or it’ll be very difficult to put them in the GUI
– we’ll loose the ability to quickly disable the filters individually
– use of lot of filters may use too much space, esp. in small screens
– some widgets will certainly disappear, esp. date range ones because they need can’t really be represented in “1 line”.
– we’ll need to find a solution to differentiate some widgets
– advanced use of the topbar (configuration, presets, etc…) will be “half-hidden” under a menu

1 Like

I think this maybe debatable. On a first look I agree with you. On a second one I can see cases when this is not entirely true.

Supposed one color codes the images with few colors. Then the person decides to work on the “red” images but temporary has to turn on / off “yellow”.

How would you configure that? Would you take away the color coding from “collections” and move it entirely to “collection filters” or the other way around?

IMHO - either way some people would like one of the configuration and the other group would like the other.

So - what would the developers do? Regardless what the choice is there will be a group of people who would like the opposite.

Not sure if I am understanding correctly but
I really like the and / or functionality…
This one specifically. I use it all the time.

Would you be able to elaborate a bit on this item please?

The icon you show in your screenshot is for colorlabels only. What I was speaking of is the operator between filters : the first item in each filter header line in lateral filter module

Yes :slight_smile: In the lateral filter module, you can quickly enable/disable filters by clicking on the last icons in each filter header line

So it is this one…

All that I can say is that there is a lot of functionality in this module… very good one.
It just takes some time for users to get used to it…

So the question is “lateral vs hamburger” or “lateral and hamburger” (with the hamburger controlling the pinning on the top).

Or - did I get completely confused :face_with_head_bandage:

In collection filters module, you would have “and” color label red, “and not” color label yellow.
So it does not require collections module at all.