Display gamma -- beware online checks

After participating in Monitor differences - Problem, my pictures are MUCH darker on friends monitors., I’ve checked a few online ‘gamma’ charts / tests; the type where a grey area has to be matched against one with alternating, light and black lines. Interestingly, depending on the test, my displays are supposed to have a gamma between 1.3 and 1.8 (usually around 1.4):

Checking the display with DisplayCal and an X-Rite i1 Display Studio, I get a reading around 2.3. Images from the net, including this site, look normal. And it’s not only on my PC, with Firefox, but also on two different Android mobiles (different makers, different display technologies).

Do you experience the same?

Update: the cheap laptop screen seems to be at 2.2 - 2.4. This may have to do with scaling (not performed in linear space by the browsers), as if I zoom in/out on the laptop (FHD, 1080p), the ‘gamma match’ shifts. If I load the PNG from lagom.nl into darktable, and set it to 100% view, it’s also OK (gamma = ~2.2) on my main (4K) display.

Update #2: as pointed out by @apostel338 below, if your OS applies system-wide scaling, the gamma charts displayed in browsers will be affected (and wrong). Download them, and view them in an image viewer/editor that allows real 1:1 viewing. That explains why I had success with darktable’s 100% view (see the previous update).

These images seem to be very sensitive to the way they are displayed. Even the cookie banner can change their appearance. I would recommend to open only the image files in a new tab.

Even that is not necessarily enough; Firefox does some kind of stretching. In a new tab, all of these look wrong in Firefox (on the 4K screen):

Any system wide scaling activated?

1 Like

Bingo! I’ve once run into this, but have totally forgotten about it.

1 Like