DisplayCAL broken after update to 3.7.1.4 in Ubuntu 18.04

I opened DisplayCAL a few minutes ago and since it prompted me about an update, I downloaded the new .deb from displaycal.net and "apt install"ed it.

Now it doesn’t start anymore.

This is the output when I launch it in the terminal:

$ displaycal
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/displaycal", line 4, in <module>
    from DisplayCAL.main import main
ImportError: No module named DisplayCAL.main

I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.

Since I need it quite urgently… doesn’t anybody have the .deb of the previous one, which was working?
I really don’t know what to do now… it’s a bit frustrating… no idea what’s the matter (already tried the usual things like “apt purge”, install again, etc etc).

same on MX 18/18.1

Luckily, on my laptop there was still the .deb of the previous version (3.7.1.3). I "apt remove"d the current latest (3.7.1.4) and installed again the old .deb, and it work as a charm as before.

So, is this matter for a ticket on DisplayCAL website? Or is it something that has to be reported somewhere else?

Probably. I just noodled around in my DisplayCAL install; for Debian packaging, there’s an email address: obs-packaging@displaycal.net.

I looked at the DisplayCAL issue list, nothing there relevant to this.

The error message is relevant to how Python searches paths for modules. It’s likely the package builder missed some file that supports this.

It’s also my impression. I hope I have the chance in the next 10 days or so to try repackaging it from the source, just to see.
In the meantime I keep using the previous version.

1 Like

Strange, that version works just fine on my Ubuntu 18.10

Packaging problem that unfortunately propagated to most of the openSUSE download mirrors (which hosts all the packages I’m building via openSUSE build service).

This should eventually fix itself when the mirrors catch up (but currently it looks like this could take days, there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere that prevents changes being synced in a timely fashion).

Maybe @darix can advise us about the OBS problem?

As alternative, there are the packages built for Debian Sid (Debian -- Details of package displaycal in sid) which should also work under Ubuntu as well as the ones from launchpad (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/displaycal).

1 Like

it seems a python2/3 issue:

it should run typing:

$ python2 /usr/bin/displaycal

give it a try!