Displaying old editing history

Tried that - changed the the disabled settings of ‘Microcontrast’ and saved the .pp3 - the attributes remained at default. Even worse, the module name in the .pp3 was ‘SharpenMicro’, not ‘Microcontrast’ !!

Do you use RT?

Only occasionally so I’m not to be trusted :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s true: it’s conceptually similar to a compressed history stack in darktable.

You can exit RT, rename the .jpg.pp3, and reopen RT and the same raw file, and you will not see your old edits.

Sorry, I don’t use dt. What exactly is a “compressed history stack”?

The manual says it better than I can:
“Click “compress history stack” to generate the shortest history stack that reproduces the current image. This causes all edits above the currently-selected step to be discarded. If any module appears multiple times in the remainder of the stack, these will be compressed into a single step in the history.”
( darktable 4.6 user manual - history stack )

Thanks! The history stack itself is quite impressive:

xpatUSATed Cousins

5h

As far as I know, the .pp3 does not contain “the history stack”.

In other words, if the history stack shows a sharpness changed to say 3 then later changed to 5 and later yet changed to 4, the .pp3 will not show the values of 3 and 5, only the last value of sharpness (4).

Blockquote

But that’s all you need. That is all your final result depends on. I can’t think of any reasonable re-editing scenario that would require you to know the winding path you took to reach your final result. The order in which you change things doesn’t affect anything.

I suppose that maybe would want to experiment with various “finishing” edits. In that case you can save your intermediate stage pp3, in whole or in part, to either file or clipboard.

I’m not the one asking for the history stack to be saved somehow. In fact, I already said that I don’t understand the need for it.

I apologize for misrepresenting your viewpoint. I have been following this thread closely but clearly that didn’t include associating the various viewpoints with their advocate accurately enough.

No problem, Bob. Where I’m from (England) “you” is often used to mean “one” …

Or maybe we don’t need this “history” yet? :frowning:
The program sometimes crashes even without this “history” ;( The program fault unexpectedly · Issue #7101 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Please.

Not every single bug will be fixed before adding features. This is not a realistic expectation or ask.