Distro fever III: What has happened to 'buntu?

Just relax and have fun :-)))
There are umpteen more distros to test!

/Santa Claes

1 Like

@Claes, I think I figured out my issues, setting up a shiny new user account in Kubuntu, and downloading a fresh copy of a few troublesome appissues (Kdenlive, Krita, and Mandelbulber2.24) while logged in as the shiny new user, no issues running theseā€¦ So I suspect itā€™s some sort of config file issue on my old /home/brian folder, which I have retained from umpteen different distro installs over the past few years.

So perhaps time to back up my files, and do a clean install with a shiny new /home partition and user.

1 Like

Morning!

Yes, most presumably you have values in the ā€œoldā€ .config/.cache
that you ought not to copy into your ā€œnewā€ hidden folders.
Worth some experimentation!

1 Like

@Claes, I bought an 8tb external USB 3.0 drive, so Iā€™m slowly backing all my photos and data up. Happily I found some photos from around 2009 / 2010 when I had some holidays down Dumfries & Galloway at the South West of Scotland :slight_smile: Will be good to have a look at those again once they are safely backed up!

8TB? Gulp.
I remember what one of my gurus, Donald E Knuth, once wrote:
if only he had 4K core memory and 7 tape stations, of which 3 also
should be able to read backwards ā€” then he could do anything
in this world.

He was right. But each run would take a l-o-n-g time to execute.
Days, perhaps.

I have often wondered how he would have reacted, had he been able
too see what I presently have at me feetā€¦

1 Like

Heā€™s still aliveā€¦ ?

I think so: Donald Knuth - Wikipedia

96KB

1 Like

I always say that developers should get machines a few generations old so they write optimised code :smiley: (I say this as a developer who just got a company laptop with 64 GB of RAM, some 10 core processor and a 1 TB M2 SSD)

3 Likes

PS: As far as I recall, Mr. Knuth wrote those lines in the 1960sā€¦

Really is one of the main reasons I keep this Surface 3 around. That, and a Windows machine for testing the wininstallers I make with my gcc/mxe toolchain on Ubuntu. Using it right now for casual browsing because the Surface Pro 7 I received last week is on the way back to MS for exchange, broke horribly after just one day of useā€¦

@Claes, Iā€™m still backing upā€¦ :rofl:

I donā€™t think even a legend like Mr Knuth would be able to solve the halting problemā€¦