Distro fever VI

A jolly good idea that, installing test distros onto a USB stick!

Of course one other advantage of normal *Ubuntu based releases, rather than LTS, is itā€™s more likely to be able to support newer hardware, or have the most up to date libraries for software etc.

However for a production machine, perhaps more useful to be on LTS! I guess I need to have another look at Kubuntu 20.04.3, and actually diagnose the issue, to get it working well on my new hardware.

LTS releases can have the HWE, hardware enablement kernel, enabled, and canonical back ports new drivers to the LTS kernel.

1 Like

I really wish I could stop distro hoping, and actually use my system productively.

Unless I have somehow fallen into a Quantum Accelerator, like Sam Beckett, and my next quantum hope into a new distro will be final hop homeā€¦

1 Like

I am home :sunglasses:. The oldest entry in the pacman log file on this computer is from September 12, 2011 (original Archlinux installation). However, the hardware has changed several times during this period :computer:.

4 Likes

Why? You never know: next distro might be
another step towards Nirvana.

/Which perhaps could explain why my present favourite
distro is an Indian one, named Garuda./

2 Likes

Hmmm, well, Kubuntu 21.10. Gwenview crashes whenever it opens a darktable exported jpg

Seems to be an issue with libexiv2-27 which ships with *buntu distrosā€¦

Time for YADHā„¢ [yet another distro hop]?

1 Like

Indeed. Even installing KDE 5.23.3, the very latest version, via Kubuntu backports, hasnā€™t fixed it!

Not really good for a photo editiing system if you cannot view exported jpgs in the standard image view (gwenview!)

Brian,
Garuda presently offers you exiv2 0.27.5-1.

Have fun,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Iā€™ve just started using nomacs because of the issue with gwenview not opening raw files ATM. Itā€™s a shame because I love gwenview.

Iā€™ve moved on from distro hoping to window manager hoping.

1 Like

Oddly, Gwenview is showing raws for me (Cannon .CR2)

Iā€™ll take another look, it may have been fixed. There were some it would open like Olympus files but it wasnā€™t wasnā€™t working with most.

Manually downgrading libexiv2-27 seems to have worked. Bit of a bodge though.

So the question is, where to go now. Especially since darktable 3.8 requires lua 5.4, which isnā€™t available for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS based distros, so no point going back to Linux Mint if it means I am unable to install darktable 3.8 due to missing dependencies.

Well, @Brian_Innes, there is an easy way to circumvent
that lua 54 ā€œrequirementā€ ā€” if you compile dt yourself.
Simply set DONT_USE_INTERNAL_LUA to OFF.

1 Like

Or use the flatpak version of dt?

Anyway, Iā€™m back on olā€™ Linux Mint Cinnamon. Itā€™s not a perfect distro, but then again what is a perfect oneā€¦

Oh dear, I believe that we can start a feud based on that questionā€¦

1 Like