Distro fever VI

For a l-o-n-g time, I have been using Manjaro (Arch)/Gnome,
and most of the time, it has worked quite fine. Except that I have
an Nvidia GFX, which needs a proprietary driver (because of openCL).
And as soon as Manjaro wants to update, openCL disappears :frowning:

On distrowatch I found another distro, still using Arch, but which sounds
like a real “modernization”: an Indian distro, named Garuda.

Will be fun to test its different flavours…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

I hope it greats you with a login sound saying “helloooo, how can I help you doodeh ?”

1 Like

Salut, Mon Père!

No. It says Namaste, Bapudji.
[spelling absolutely uncertain!]

2 Likes

But won’t using an arch based distro cause the same issues, with updates disabling OpenCL?

No it should not. Normal arch is still using 465 driver. For some reason Manjaro thought it would be a good idea to push 470 because it fixed other issues people had. The side effect was Nvidia broke OpenCL on that driver. Bad part is Manjaro only ships one new driver and one old driver so you can’t roll back after you update if you have a newer card not supported by 390. Only way to fix is to manually bring in a older driver or wait for them to bring in the fixed driver which is not even in the testing repos yet.

On another note once Manjaro broke Nvidia I myself am hopping looking for a different distro. Hard to do because I am not 100% on board with neither LTS or Rolling distros. I am trying to find a happy middle ground of not too old and not too new. Which means I am probably going to have to go with something like Fedora that updates every 6 months.

Ubuntu also has a 6-month upgrade cycle, unless you go LTS.

Yea a Ubuntu is also a possibility. For me I guess the biggest issue is I wish I had the ability to have specific versions of packages. Some I like having up to date while others I may want to keep frozen to a older version for longer. Just as a example keep blender at a specific version for a period of time. The current distribution styles make that challenging to maintain. I guess that is really where flatpak shines but the sandbox brings about its own issues.

But sure, you can run into library incompatibilities over time.

??

I am running “normal Arch”, and I got the 470 driver two or three days ago.

Last I checked they were not on 470 yet it that was more then 3 days ago Manjaro pushed it first. My apologies :+1:

1 Like

Fedora is “cutting edge but stable”, and uses flatpaks alongside rpms. Also there’s a way to stop rpms from updating as I found out via Google just now

1 Like

Fedora (or normal Ubuntu based distro rather than LTS) might be something I’ll switch to, especially since my new hardware may not be fully supported by LTS based distros.