DNG files from an android phone

I got a brand new smartphone, a motorola one ace 5g with android 11. It does DNG files in pro mode.

I just tried it. But in ART, there is no automatch tone curve in the tone curve.

Does anybody has any tip on how to improve the colours and the exposure processing?

In the end, if I process to B&W, it’s quite decent (think Canon 40D level), but if I process the image in colour then it’s so so. I’m convinced that it’s due to the phone itself. This phone is neither the quality of an iphone or a galaxy but I didn’t pay these prices either.

Thanks

Share one maybe… I know my pixel takes DNG that work with automatch if I use the google app but OpenCamera saves a DNG file but i think its really a tiff as it does not work with automatch…

EDit:

You might also find some interesting comments and or tips here…

Hi,
You can try using the “standard film curve” profile and see if that helps. Otherwise, share a raw as @priort suggested and I’ll take a look.

HTH

I need to put this on pause. Yesterday, after posting this, I did a debian upgrade and lets say it didn’t go well.

I will upload the file in a few days.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that…very frustrating

There is only one thumbnail in the DNG, I think ART can’t draw a curve from such a small image. I can’t extract anything else with exiftool from a Fairphone3 DNG

The OP’r has a Motorola phone…the Fairphone was just part of a link I shared that touched on a similar topic with some discussion and insight on these files… Indeed on my Google pixel the DNG produced by the phone depend on the app…Native app is fine and will work with Art as would a normal DNG… The one’s that come from open camera are a different beast… and they don’t have an recognized embedded preview whereas the native ones do…despite being half the size of the files coming from Open Camera…so lots of nuances to consider wrt phone, app used and post processing software…

Here’s the image’s link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Up3QH45ukQ1RwjNDRYDDV_HnJOmc-W5/view?usp=sharing

This image was produced by a motorola one ace 5g and android 11 with the default photo app in the “pro mode” to get the dng.

Thanks

Looks like these images support gain maps so for sure apply flat field correction adjustment and select embedded…it will take away the strong vignette and improve the lighting…it will look for all intensive purposes like a lens corrections…

Here is a quick tinker I did…but with no real targeted color work just boosted sat and vibrancy.

Color is pretty subjective with people… I am also not doing this on a very good or calibrated monitor

img_20221012_103851330.dng.arp (11.7 KB)

Nice.

Very interesting on how you processed. Things that surprised me:

• log tone mapping: the black point. How did you get the: -6.9ev?
  • local contrast (and no extra texture, I always add some texture if I use the local contrast): Why from midpoint to the whites, you kept it to the same level?
  • haze removal: quite aggressive

I like the processing and am trying to learn. This not criticizing in any way, just clarifications on why so I can understand better and do better processing.

Honestly I don’t use art other than to experiment. So I was just trying to bump the color. I am sure others will do a much better job. I literally just went through things I knew would add contrast and color…Dehaze is aggressive in ART. I blend it in lightness blend mode often in DT and I think RT has or had a lightness mode for dehaze if you don’t want the big bump in saturation… I the case of your image I went for the bump…

I still like your processing. It was interesting.

Thanks

Well thx. just be sure to add that flat field by default…the rest is up to you :mask: