Do you remember PASM?

You know the old saying: P stands for Professional, A for Amateur, and so on.
A few days ago, I took a walk around our house, with the X-T1/kit-lens set to Auto, Auto, Auto. Metering set to Spot. 53 images later, I arrived back into the house.

All shots were exposed quite well, and I checked how the Fuji auto machinery had been working:

ISO
200, 250, 420, 500

Exposure [1/x]
450, 420, 400, 350, 340, 420, 300, 250, 240, 220, 210, 180, 160, 150, 140, 125, 120, 110, 105, 85, 80

Aperture
2.8 3.2 3.6 4.0 4.5 5.0 5.6 6.4 7.1 8.0 9.0 11.0 13.0 14.0

So, a much larger variety of settings than what I normally would have used, had I been on manual.

Here is one example of how it believed one of the scenes should be treated:

Not bad, in my opinion…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

4 Likes

I’d say quite good. Crop off the door jam on the left and you’ve got a real moody winner!

1 Like

Hello Claes, and the S stands for selfie and the M for melodrame? :wink:

I don’t see what you want to show or prove here…

That’s 2 stops plus a bit.

That’s 2 stops plus a bit.

That’s nearly 6 stops.

In my opinion, the photo you showed is underexposed, it lacks some gamma (not highlights).

I also think that exposing with spot metering is a tricky thing, one has to be very careful what spot exactly is metered, shot after shot.

Suggestion for your next wildlife shooting: try the Sunny f/16 rule: set camera to ISO 100, aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to 1/125, on a sunny day. Adapt to weather (eg. cloudy), iso, mood and taste. Often works very well, like incident-light metering.

Nooo, don’t crop! Complexity is a winner. Flowers on their own would only make sense if your’re documenting flowers.

(comment from the department of fighting amateur or off duty pro’s from thinking like they are supposed to be selling a product. Has been disputed from the department of “complexity is already recuperated by advertising”.)

1 Like

S stands for selfie and the M for melodrame?

S sounds right, but I always believed that M stood for mysterious.

I don’t see what you want to show or prove here…

Prove anything? Oh, no. Not in The Lounge.
The data do prove one thing, though: that the camera reacts much faster
to fluctuations in light conditions &c than I do.

As if that would be a piece of News.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Yes of course, because it’s a machine! Any machine is at least a thousand times faster than any human being, if not more.

A good moment to reflect on this topic. Do we - human beings and derivates - want to mimic a machine or do we want to take some time to decide by ourselves what could be well, in terms of exposure? Sometimes I prefer this last approach, taking into account the risk of not-well exposed images…

Have fun from France! :slight_smile:

But there’s not much reason to use any ISO other than base ISO with the X-T1.

https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm%20X-T1