Do you remember PASM?

You know the old saying: P stands for Professional, A for Amateur, and so on.
A few days ago, I took a walk around our house, with the X-T1/kit-lens set to Auto, Auto, Auto. Metering set to Spot. 53 images later, I arrived back into the house.

All shots were exposed quite well, and I checked how the Fuji auto machinery had been working:

ISO
200, 250, 420, 500

Exposure [1/x]
450, 420, 400, 350, 340, 420, 300, 250, 240, 220, 210, 180, 160, 150, 140, 125, 120, 110, 105, 85, 80

Aperture
2.8 3.2 3.6 4.0 4.5 5.0 5.6 6.4 7.1 8.0 9.0 11.0 13.0 14.0

So, a much larger variety of settings than what I normally would have used, had I been on manual.

Here is one example of how it believed one of the scenes should be treated:

Not bad, in my opinionā€¦

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

4 Likes

Iā€™d say quite good. Crop off the door jam on the left and youā€™ve got a real moody winner!

1 Like

Hello Claes, and the S stands for selfie and the M for melodrame? :wink:

I donā€™t see what you want to show or prove hereā€¦

Thatā€™s 2 stops plus a bit.

Thatā€™s 2 stops plus a bit.

Thatā€™s nearly 6 stops.

In my opinion, the photo you showed is underexposed, it lacks some gamma (not highlights).

I also think that exposing with spot metering is a tricky thing, one has to be very careful what spot exactly is metered, shot after shot.

Suggestion for your next wildlife shooting: try the Sunny f/16 rule: set camera to ISO 100, aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to 1/125, on a sunny day. Adapt to weather (eg. cloudy), iso, mood and taste. Often works very well, like incident-light metering.

Nooo, donā€™t crop! Complexity is a winner. Flowers on their own would only make sense if yourā€™re documenting flowers.

(comment from the department of fighting amateur or off duty proā€™s from thinking like they are supposed to be selling a product. Has been disputed from the department of ā€œcomplexity is already recuperated by advertisingā€.)

1 Like

S stands for selfie and the M for melodrame?

S sounds right, but I always believed that M stood for mysterious.

I donā€™t see what you want to show or prove hereā€¦

Prove anything? Oh, no. Not in The Lounge.
The data do prove one thing, though: that the camera reacts much faster
to fluctuations in light conditions &c than I do.

As if that would be a piece of News.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Yes of course, because itā€™s a machine! Any machine is at least a thousand times faster than any human being, if not more.

A good moment to reflect on this topic. Do we - human beings and derivates - want to mimic a machine or do we want to take some time to decide by ourselves what could be well, in terms of exposure? Sometimes I prefer this last approach, taking into account the risk of not-well exposed imagesā€¦

Have fun from France! :slight_smile:

But thereā€™s not much reason to use any ISO other than base ISO with the X-T1.

https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm%20X-T1