Does anyone here use an OLED and/or HDR monitor?

My monitor (3440x1440 ultrawide IPS) is now 8 years old and still going strong, but I’m in the early stages of researching a new one because I’m especially interested in moving to HDR. While reading about the latest tech, it seems IPS monitors are still the preferred tech for reaching the best brightness for HDR, although I’ve also read that OLED often gives a more impressive overall HDR experience because of their blacks, “infinite” contrast ratio and colour reproduction. Does anyone here have any experience with OLED and/or HDR monitors? What are your impressions? Any issues with HDR and photo processing?

My use case is office work, photography and occasional gaming, and I’ve read that not all OLED monitors are the best for office work / text rendition. But I can imagine for photography, an OLED is probably very impressive. I’m aware of the potential for burn-in, but not sure it’s a big concern with the latest monitors and if you use the advice for refreshing your screen periodically.

Micro LED seems to be the future, but it’s quite a few years away yet for the monitor market and to become affordable.

1 Like

Fort now i rejected both oled and mini led. Oled flickering (PWM) is not something i would like expose my eyes for long. And mini led panels tends to have minimal brightness far too high for some reason.

I’ve not read many complaints about that. I imagine it varies between monitors because not all manufacturers implement PWM and screen refresh rate also impacts flicker. Maybe gaming monitors are less prone to it because they have higher refresh rates?

1 Like

Ars Technica had a good article recently on just that subject:

2 Likes

I saw a lot of complain, but not all people are equally sensitive, and some did develop the sensitivity after longer time.

That’s not related.
It should go away at 100% brightness, however… HDR panels won’t make 100% brightness available except maybe for peak hdr signal.

More info: Pulse-width modulation - Wikipedia

I recently got an Asus Vivobook 15 with the Asus OLED display more-or-less by accident (old one died while I was travelling, I had a deadline, and this is what the local MediaMarkt had that I could open up and use my own SSD).

This is a rather basic laptop but the display is stunning, they claim a wide gamut and calibrated colors (I did not measure it with instruments, but it looks correct and simply stunning). This is the best laptop display I ever had, and I had quite a few “premium” laptops in the past.

If this is the future of laptop displays, count me in. I am not concerned about burn-in, my laptops all die within 3 years tops.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. How do you find its text rendering? I will be looking at a much bigger resolution, at least 3440x1440, so it wouldn’t be directly comparable, but I’m still interested in whether you notice a difference from your old laptops.