Does Lightroom try to protect the image against Gamut clipping?

I’ve noticed that when raising saturation in Lightroom, it changes the hue of the color.
Last time I was editing an image and when I raised saturation it changed blue color hue towards purple.
But one interesting thing was that because of ti it didn’t go out of gamut and perceptually it was looking more saturated.

Is this a known practice or did I just had a weird coincidance with that one image and Lightroom is just bad at protecting hues?

No idea. I haven’t used LR in a long time. The trouble with discerning the problem is that it is a black box. We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes.

That said, the more info you provide concerning your workflow and settings, the more of a chance this gets answered. Start with version number, your raw, sidecar, samples and screenshots.

That sort of shift from red to magenta is a fairly typical side effect of applying a tonecurve to the RGB channels separately, which is what I guess they do in LR. The darktable filmic module has a chroma preservation feature which preserves the ratio of the RGB channels, which protects the hues. However, this can push colours out of gamut, and so the filmic module combats this with its desaturation curve.

Gamut mapping, done right, is something you need to do at least at the input and at the output of the pipeline, but preferably after any color transform too. It’s unlikely that LR does that anywhere but at the final step.

However, the saturation adjustments are not hue linear, meaning pushing saturation does not perfectly keep the perceptual hue. And since we have extra sensitivity toward blue-purple, it’s always there that it will break.

1 Like

@KristijanZic You could report this to Adobe. Be specific and detailed. They may not respond to you directly though. :sweat_smile:

@anon41087856 They have the people to make it possible but it may be low priority and hard to implement in their code. :man_shrugging:

Sorry, I’ll do more testing and provide more info but right now I don’t have time as our govt has surprised us with with a new lockdown starting tomorrow without any warning and it’s hectic at work atm. That said, I’ll have all the time in the world pretty soon :sweat_smile:

LOL. Adobe is a dignified pile of shit. Their only merit is to have been on the market first, but the key word here is “have been”. Now they surf on the momentum with great marketing, but that’s about it. I don’t expect from a company that can’t do proper alpha compositing, proper black point adjustment or scene-referred editing to care about gamut. Adobe is a large-scale scam, it’s time to stop looking for excuses.

1 Like

From a historians perspective, the world was completely different when Adobe entered the market. Were they evil from the start? Well… you probably don’t remember the 90’ do you?

1 Like

@anon41087856 Ha ha, I was being polite about Adobe.

@betazoid As I wrote briefly somewhere, Adobe like other tech giants played dirty right from the start giving it an early lead and crushing its competitors. As a result, their code is :poop: from taking other people’s ideas and IP for so long. But we have to hand it to them for making their software, advertising and outreach attractive to so many people. That takes a level of genius that one can’t deny. That said, they have always had smart engineers, scientists, app developers and standards contributors; it is just that their business, service, etc., side is :clown_face:.

As with all stories, there are many facets. We won’t be where we are in technology without Adobe and this is still true today.

1 Like

Going back far enough, Adobe got favorable recognition for FrameMaker and Pagemaker, but they originated neither of these products.

While PDF became an important standard once it stopped being proprietary to Adobe (still, hats off to them for coming up with it), the, ahem, “quality” of Adobe Reader caused me to never even consider trying Ps or Lr.

FrameMaker was already well recognized by the time Adobe acquired it, and they haven’t really done much to improve it.

Yeah, agreed, they just got some rub-off.