Domain registration

Any tips on registering a domain? Who to get it from?

Whois protection?

Anything I need to be aware of?

I’d recommend either gandi.net or hover.com.

Yes, you should obscure your whois record, or you’re just going to get spamed.

You probably should purchase hosting separately.

I was planning on just pointing it to Github Pages.

Yeah that works.

Since a domain name has no quality issues it should be as cheap as possible, try this:

They have URL forwarding too.

I just saw they have special offer for *.COM domains $4.15 first year (limited to 3 per customer) and $8.56 for renewal. In the past I moved quite a few domains to them due to ever increasing cost from other registrars.

I like pork buns and peace lilies. :stuck_out_tongue:

go with gandi

• easy DNSSEC
  • 2FA
  • a really well made DNS editor
1 Like

I actually did end up using porkbun to grab filmulator.org and .com.

Now I “just” need to make a satisfying website.

2 Likes

Also using Gandi.net, and am a happy customer.

Gandi has been steadily increasing their prices, though (I’ve been a customer for 15-20 years now). What keeps me there is that the price includes email hosting.

Inflation is a real thing. But they have a really good service too. and it is in the EU.

That makes a website look very fishy. Under no circumstances would I buy anything from a site with anonym WHOIS.

Since some years I believe the various TLD WHOIS servers do not have emails in them, and displayed mails are images that are difficult to harvest. And in any case one can simply get a new mail from gmail.com or somewhere else and use that just for one domain.

I have dedicated gmail addresses for some domain and even after some years the amount of SPAM I get is near to zero.

Fortunately, I’m not selling anything…

The organization that owns the site for WhoIs may have no connection with the one that takes your money, they could just be some IT contractor. In addition, the owner’s personal details are not hidden on request of the site owner but due to EU’s GDPR. And a WhoIs entry isn’t just an e-mail, there can be a physical/mail address.