DT 3.01 - user specific lua-scripts not always loaded

Trying to get aquainted with DT on Linux, I found that my own lua scripts only get loaded, when I start DT from the config directory, where my luarc resides.
If I start it the from the gnome programme starter, my scripts don’t show up.

Is this a feature or a bug?

—Markus

How did you install it? When I built it from source I needed to make a new .desktop file for the correct location of the binary.

1 Like

David, I installed the debian package version 3.0.1 from http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/darktable/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

My desktop file looks as such (translations omitted):

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Darktable
GenericName=Virtual Lighttable and Darkroom
Comment=Organize and develop images from digital cameras
X-GNOME-FullName=Darktable Photo Workflow Software
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics;Photography;GTK;
Keywords=graphics;photography;raw;
Exec=/usr/bin/darktable %U
TryExec=/usr/bin/darktable
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=application/x-darktable;image/x-dcraw;image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/jp2;image/png;image/tiff;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-portable-floatmap;image/x-exr;
Icon=darktable
X-Unity-IconBackgroundColor=#252525

Try starting darktable from the command line with darktable -d lua and see if that gives us a clue.
Also, try whereis darktable and see if the executable is installed in two places. I’m not sure why starting it from the command line starts in a different directory than from the launcher.

Which directory is your luarc file in? Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Ubuntu is ‘Bionic Beaver’ and ‘Focal Fossa’ - tested on both with identical results.

The output of ‘whereis darktable’ on both machines is
darktable: /usr/bin/darktable /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/darktable /usr/share/darktable /usr/share/man/man1/darktable.1.gz

My luarc-file is in $HOME/.config/darktable

I have a print-statement in luarc, which I see only when starting darktable in the terminal in the directory $HOME/.config/darktable
If I start darkable from a terminal in my homedirectory, the output of the print statement never appears.
As it is to be expected, my lua-extensions only show up when the application is startet from $HOME/.config/darktable.