dt: access to older NAS drive from dt in Win 10

Apologies in advance: this probably more of a ‘systems’ question than a dt question, but it makes a nice change from my ranting on about user manual impenetrability or some such…

I decided to take a great leap forward, into the networked 90s, and use my venerable Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive (circa 2003?; long since un-supported in Windows) as a ‘staging post’ for camera images - thus allowing me to import images into both my Windows dt installation and my separate Linux dt installation. (These are in different rooms; carrying the SD card back and forth is a bit of a pain and frequently results in my leaving the house, camera firmly attached, but card left in the reader and underwear inside out…).

The problem is that dt cannot ‘see’ the Iomega HMNHD from Windows. In fairness, Windows often cannot see it either, because the (linux-based) software running in the hard drive enclosure uses an old version of SMB which is now deprecated. There is no update. I can reliably see the drive from Windows (and indeed it is one of the redundant parts of my backup strategy) provided I start it before I start windows and connect to it using an explicit IP address/user/pwd process . At that point it is visible and browsable within the ‘Network’ ‘group’ in Windows File Explorer and I have free R/W access to the drive.

But the drive is not visible when I work through the ‘Places’, ‘Other’, ‘Computer’ path that I can walk down in dt’s ‘copy and import’ module.

I should also say that once I have been able to mount the drive in Linux (also requiring a few unnatural acts involving SMB) then I can browse and select at will from the Iomega NAS drive as part of ‘copy and import’.

Is there anything I can and should be doing in the Windows install to remove this ‘difficulty’ ?.

you need to mount it with a drive letter…

Hah I knew that (cough), it just temporarily slipped my mind, you understand.

Oh, and … thank you; that has immediately removed today’s No.1 frustration.

I think you can go back in and manually add back SMB to the OS I had to do it for an old NAS…its in the windows extra/components…I cant recall what its called now without looking…I will edit later but I think you can still do this…