Early morning rain

I don’t know if I’m happy with how this came out in the end. Have restarted from scratch a few times and cannot seem to get a good result. I had hoped to get better details, maybe too much too ask for an in-the-dark noisy 6400 ISO shot?

So, I’ll give you a shot at this if you are interested. Very curious how this one will be tackled by others.

early.morning.rain.rw2.xmp (9.6 KB) darktable 3.0.0

early.morning.rain.rw2 (18.7 MB)

This work is licensed: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

6 Likes

Well, here is one interpretation…

Hmmm… perhaps I should have added some grain as well…?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Zweden

1 Like

early.morning.rain.rw2.xmp (6.6 KB)

1 Like

a-early.morning.rain.jpg.out.arp (11.3 KB)

2 Likes

early.morning.rain.rw2.xmp (6.4 KB)

5 Likes

early.morning.rain.rw2.xmp (5.3 KB) early.morning.rain_01.rw2.xmp (6.7 KB)

1 Like

The main thing I noticed, based on both @age’s and @sls141’s edits, is the difference in white balance. Both warmer and I think, in the end, a better base to build upon then my settings even though they are a tad too warm for my taste.

I really have to have a much better look at the global tonemap module used by sls141, that module still eludes me.

At the moment I like age’s colour version and sls141 B&W versions best.

Thanks for the contributions thus far!

Ah! the title was misleading :grinning: with warm balance its rather late evening rain

I tried to get a little more detail.

early.morning.rain.rw2.xmp (11.0 KB)

3 Likes

@Thomas_Do: Nice. That does make the details come out better.

You also used the tone mapping module and it does create a positive effect on the overall image; I really need to have a look at that one!

Not sure if I like the use of the tone equalizer it seems a bit unnatural, but that might just be me.

Thanks fro giving me something to look at/learn from.

No, you are right! Was just a quick edit and the tone equalizer was not helpful :wink: .

Edit: Version w/o tone equalizer.

1 Like

RT 5.8

early.morning.rain.jpg.out.pp3 (12,2 KB)

The mood of this shot is awesome !

1 Like

Early morning, not night, so the sky can become a little brighter. Some of the edits (incl. the original) suppressed the rain a little too much for the picture title - tuned noise reduction for enough detail at the rain drop traces. I did find the tone equalizer useful for some more detail in the dark parts. One could smooth out the sky more with a drawn+parametric mask.

early.morning.rain.dabbler.rw2.xmp (6.2 KB)

3 Likes

Yes. The rain, or visible lack thereof in my edit was one of the issues I had. I kept running into increasing sharpness would also increased noise and denoise would negate the increase in sharpness…

I’ll have a look at how you got this detail to show up.

I’m not sure about the lighter sky: This was one very dark rainy morning, around or not very much after official sun-up. Artistic interpretation :slight_smile:

early.morning.rain.jpg.out.pp3 (12.7 KB)

4 Likes

So one more artistic interpretation :wink:

early.morning.rain.jpg.out.pp3 (13.0 KB)

I was also very interested in keeping visible the rain, and giving the feeling that the sky was getting lighter.

And finally, being a high contrast image, I have enhanced the highlight areas. Mostly to make it look how I imagine I would have seen the scene in real life.

4 Likes

Actually I agree with you.
But I am watching “Stranger Things” on Netflix … thus the creepy atmosphere of mine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

After seeing so many different interpretations and having a look at, where possible, the techniques used, I decided to give it another try myself.

A somewhat lighter, warmer and more detailed version and one I am more pleased with.

early.morning.rain.rw2.02.xmp (12.8 KB) darktable 3.1.0 this time.

6 Likes

Using RT 5.8 for this very interesting image.

early.morning.rain.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)

2 Likes

Nice crop and although not as warm as some of the others I kinda like this one. I can almost feel the cold wind and rain coming down looking at this one. :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like