editing landscapes to get the Val Timmermans / New Topographic "look"

IMG12420.CR2.xmp (12.5 KB)

1 Like

I don’t. But I am really impressed at what you did. Look at the definition in the sky! Such nice colors also!

IMG14354.CR2.xmp (11.0 KB)

Yeah not the look I was going for. But you did a nice treatment, especially on the third. I have not used GIMP for raw processing for a while! Nice to still see it’s capable.

thanks!

This is a great assessment. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

I really like how you cropped the first one. Really nice.

This is pretty nice. For some reason the way it is sharpened and compressed looks really bad in small size, but much better expanded. It’s a nice crop and contrasts here.

Dt lens correction plus the perspective correct usually gets the lines near perfect for me.

Japan is simply heaven for photography and anyone interested in design. Go when you are able for sure.

IT took me a second to realize what you did! nice! It looks a little ghosty in the corner, but I think anyone not seeing the original would not notice.

I like the foreground, But I find the sky color unrealistic. But, still more color and definition that I got!

This is a good point. For many years I was “that guy” who would wander around in broad daylight with a tripod, and everyone would wonder why I was doing “night photos” during the day. I currently don’t but perhaps I should again.

The contrast is good but I think the wood color seems too saturated. What do you think?

This a good take. I need to study this one closely as well.

No fun allowed! Why does everyone want to remove things from this photo. haha Maybe someone will remove the building and only leave water next.

I suppose we could duplicate the walker a few times and put him in the crosswalk.

Thanks. Very nice take as well. It’s hard to keep the background buildings from fading away.

Really nice definition and color saturation in the roof and wood!

this is a nice look

Your use of masks in the multiple iterations of the color calibration module is very interesting. I wonder why color calibration and not color balance rgb?

I had another look at Val Timmermans work and realised something super odd. New topographic is the term for a group of photographer in the seventies that took photographs of everyday man mane scenes with the rigour and seeing of early landscape and architecture photographers.

When I look at their instagram I notice most cars in the scenes are old, like from the 70’s or so, models. They are re-creating the new topographics content only in style. Clearly looking for scenes that look like their forerunners but ignoring that the intent and power of New Topographics is that they looked at contemporary society. The power is in looking at and presenting, with stark “objectivity”, the landscapes we live in but fail to see. Timmermans seems to do the opposite, these scenes are not of our society but a past one.

2 Likes

Hello, you can do that in Art as well, just use manual perspective correction (Transform tab → Perspective).

1 Like

I liked the B&W version from foto. I thought I would try adding a colour cast to the mid-tones to see how it alters the mood of the picture.

2 Likes

I’m glad that you enjoyed Japan, but maybe I am tired of living in the heaven haha I’m sure I must think that heaven is where you live :wink:

You are right. I initially tried to apply the Kodachrome emulation by Boris Hajdukovic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfy8Nx_OCI) as I wanted to enhance and make use of tension and harmony between reddish and blueish elements in the photo. That’s why the wood color is too saturated. And later I changed the strategy, which made my edit confused.

This is an interesting observation. Perhaps it should be called the new old new topographic movement.

Good interview with Noah Waldeck here.

You see, I learn something everyday. I didn’t know that.

Thank you

1 Like

I can’t control what the website or the browser do. But to me, I don’t see the over-sharpened, over-compression.

I’m using 78.13.0esr on Opensuse Leap 15.3 but I could reduce the output sharpening with jpeg: 65% and balanced subsampling.

Here’s with a lower output sharpening. Is it better?

2 Likes

Only a minor different. I also see some banding in the sky as well as a touch of magenta blobs in the sky. Quite odd.

I think that it’s me being “less than careful” in the b&w conversion.

Is this better?

Thank you

that’s nicer!

Following the instructions of aurelien Pierre, I think

IMG00069.CR2.xmp (7,6 KB)
IMG12420.CR2.xmp (8,9 KB)
IMG14354.CR2.xmp (9,3 KB)

Cheers

2 Likes