editing mockups

Hi there ,
Is there a referance doc. describing how to edit an uploaded predesigned book mockup with gimp?

The short answer is ā€¦ donā€™t. Usually these mockups are PSD (Photoshop) files with text elements, and Gimp isnā€™t compatible enough to keep these elements as text, and this sort of spoils the purpose.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
my question really concerns ;
I have uploaded a book mockup from web into gimp.
now I want to upload an image from the pc as cover image into this mockup.
I couldnā€™t find a proper referance for that altough there are alot for creating mockup itself.
I need help on this. of course Idonā€™t intent to mess up a property mockup on gimp!

File > Open as layers will add an image as a new layer. Then you have to scale/crop it to match the rest, and pull it down the layer stack to replace any sample image that could be there.

Thank you very much for the adviceā€¦
Ä°s it also possible to delete the existing sample image (layer ?)
to remove it ?

I have not worked with these mock ups but I suspect the answer is yes. If their sample image is a separate layer it could be made invisible or deleted.

You may be best to make your own mock up in GIMP for future use. Maybe the mock up from the web will have some layers that work well and others that donā€™t translate well between PS and GIMP. Did the text layers translate?

I will try that.
Thank you very much

I have uploaded a book mockup into gimp.mockup.mockup image file is a psd and have the gimp icon next to it.now I want to change the color of the book which have two layers ; one for cover and the other for side(spine?).I use colorise feature and select a new color and apply it selecting respective layers.new color shows up on the thumbnail preview image on the color palette. But not on the cover and side ?? how come ?

It sounds like these are separate layers and they all need to be colorized individually. However, from what I read you are doing this. Any chance of sharing the file? I also wonder if when the image is opened in GIMP if exporting it as a .xcf might help GIMP correctly preserve your work. After all .psd is a photoshop native file and while GIMP will open it there surely are features that are not compatible between Photoshop and GIMP. I wish I could be more help, but without seeing the file itself it is hard.

I send you the WETRANSFER LINK ( since it is larger than 25 mb!) ( https://we.tl/t-IhxmW3mHBX ) for the original book mockup which I did downloaded ā€¦ Activation instructions of the designer ( COUNTRY4K) suggests to use Photoshop altough it is a gimp file??

it consists of 5 layers. I have tried to change the colors of the cover and Side layers with using COLORISE Futureā€¦ That I havenā€™t succeedā€¦ I hope these information gives you some clue about the problem I am facingā€¦Ofcourse I might making a mistake myself as wellā€¦

sorry ā€¦mistakeā€¦
correct mockup file link is https://we.tl/t-q4jCfn86Kz from wetransferā€¦

The only download was a png file showing the picture of a book. You should be able to drag and drop the psd file directly into your reply on this site. Many people upload large files here, especially in the playraw category.

As Ofnuts in the second post, it is usually not worth the effort.

You can track that mockup down as a Photoshop (PS) .psd file. In the readme notes it says: you need double-click the left mouse button on the miniature of the smart object. Of course Gimp knows nothing about PS smart objects.

Gimp does open the .psd with a warning. The layers are as the left side inset. The ones that say Edit Me are redundant.

While I normally use layer masks, in this case they are not very useful. Easier to add your image and deform to suit. The same applies to the text on the spine.

The ā€œtextureā€ layers are just the same image in various modes - burn - lighten only - overlay. You can keep one layer and change the layer mode yourself.

You can use the original to form your own Gimp .xcf template, as right side layers and make it even slimmer than shown, but it is ā€œhands-onā€ compared to PS.

example: https://i.imgur.com/sxHdcGX.jpeg

Thank you very much for reserving your precious time to advice reallyā€¦
I appreciated ā€¦
I am not a graphic designerā€¦only trying to create a book mockup for my landing pageā€¦therefore I looked for a ready made mockup that I can modify with my limited knowledgeā€¦
Frankly speaking I did not understand your explanation and the relevant jargon you use to explainā€¦
For summing up do you suggest to stop working on this particular mockup ? Or dont get involved with mockup business at all ?
I can understand both of those ā€¦what I can still not understand why gimp colorising feature does not effective on this particular mockupā€¦this is not a complex psd fileā€¦ If I am making a mistake then what is it ?
By the way sofar we were corresponding with Mr.Terry ā€¦?