Editing moments with darktable

I really like your idea. Especially this part:

It does make more sense logically, although Iā€™m not yet sold on getting rid of the middle grey luminance slider and hardcode it to 18.45%. Maybe after testing/playing around with the neutral setting, be it yours or a adjusted one, for a while I find that using it isnā€™t needed any more. Iā€™m not unquestionably against removing it, by the way.

Setting it to 18.45% by default would be a good start.

1 Like

@anon41087856 explained somewhere (here?) that the defaults as of now are a bit better ā€œuxā€ since you start with ok-ish image, but actual good value would be 18.45%, since it makes curve more well behaved if you need tweaking.

Could you get this by using the auto mode of exposureā€¦I would have to see what settings might allow calculation of middle gray at 18.45 %?? Not sure if percentile could be set to approximate this??

I normally use spapseed, what you have shown us is really amazing and now I really want to move to Darktable. Thanks for the effort.

1 Like

Nice! Letā€™s start calling it darktable. :wink::slight_smile: (I am not a stickler for such things but some are!)

1 Like

New episode: playing with channel mixer :bar_chart:

8 Likes

Boris in the last edit I see you moved the contrast equalizer. Rational??
Thx

I wanted to have it at the end of the pixelpipe so that no artifacts are created when other modules come after it. I often do this with other modules as well.

For example, color balance module always comes before Filmic. But if I want to make additional contrast or other corrections after Filmic, I move color balance (or new instance) over the Filmic.

Interesting I had not really looked at the order of those two. CB is always tweaked after filmic so its interesting that it executes beforeā€¦.maybe good practice to use CB changes related to WB and color grading in one
instance and contrast and tone ones in a second instanceā€¦ā€¦

Any other re-ordering that you do often or for special circumstances??

Thanks for following up on my questionā€¦

That might be a good idea! See my next comment. :wink:

Itā€™s like cooking, first the water comes and then the noodles. The question is, when does the salt come? You can put salt first in water and then in pasta. Some people think salt should come at the end, otherwise the pasta will be too salty if you put salt at the beginning.

There are also people who break all the rules and put noodles in a pot first and then water. This makes them a little brown, which enhances the taste. It is even possible that they take a completely new path and thus bring completely new tastes into culinary worlds. :grinning:

The cool thing about darktable is that you have many ingredients on the table, which you can combine together.

And even cooler is, if you put them together wrong, you can always undo everything and start over again with a different combination.

At some point you learned what the ingredients do and how to combine them.

Of course it is nice to get some tips from other chefs on how to combine the ingredients well. This is right, and can be a good help in the beginning.

The danger is that you get stuck with these tips and always cook the same recipe.

Be courageous and play around a bit. You will not break anything. At least not what you canā€™t fix quickly. :wink:

Iā€™m definitely ready to help if there are any difficulties. :wink:

And if you find anything new, please let me know! :blush:

2 Likes

Sure I will ā€¦I did at some point play around with it but I was not sure of the module order and as I have the bad habit of compressing to keep my history compact I had a few times where I moved a module and I was not sure where to put it back to revisit the difference. I guess if I do it enough I will remember where they should beā€¦I think if you hold some thing down you get a pipeline list I will do that and print it off for referenceā€¦I guess I could use duplicates if I am going to mess around with the orderā€¦

1 Like

:+1:

I sometimes have 5-6 duplicates to compare different versions. Duplicate view in darkroom is an excellent extension for that.

4 Likes

New episode: Playing with color look up table :national_park::

6 Likes

I hope you donā€™t mind me asking a slightly off-topic question about the way you
present your (snapshot) end result.

You do this full screen and I am able to reproduce this by first collapsing the right panel, then the left panel, taking a snapshot, unhide the left panel, select top in history then selecting the snapshot, go full screen again by collapsing the left panel. A lot of steps that I do not see in your video.

Is this just clever video editing on your side or is there a better way to do al this. For instances: is it possible to collapse both left and right panel at the same time.

Please let me know if you donā€™t want this off-topic thing in this thread, Iā€™ll remove this post.

1 Like

Yes, TAB key.

I have also bound a key to create the snapshot (S) in preferences - shortcuts - modules - snapshot - take snapshot

I then do this by first selecting the first step in the history, pressing TAB, pressing ā€œsā€ key, pressing TAB again to have both side menus again, activate Snapshot, press TAB again and then I have Snapshot in the window without side menus.

4 Likes

@s7habo
From your last video I observed (if I am not mistaken), you have the same issue, what I finally have reported here:

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/4820

Yeah, but I think itā€™s normal. The new colour has to be calculated and that takes time. You also have this delay if you lighten or darken the standard color very much. My problem is rather that chroma offset sliders are connected to the saturation slider, so you canā€™t change hue without increasing saturation.

New episode: black and white :white_square_button::

9 Likes

You have done black & white before, but I was hoping you would do a B&W quick-edit one of these daysā€¦

Donā€™t know if you remember from the Shades of Brown thread but Iā€™m trying to get back into (digital) B&W after some disappointments, so this one is rather welcome.

BTW: Nice music!

Thanks @Jade_NL! Iā€™m glad you like it.

If you have any questions or wishes for further episodes, please let me know.

2 Likes