Editing moments with darktable

Do you mean my reference to Nicolas’s video??

yes

I looked at You Tube video : Full edit #1, but that didn’t seem to apply to what you were referring Philipp to.

EDIT…Here Nicolas shows nicely how to dynamically create the shortcuts and how it is laid out in the preferences…

3 Likes

@priort
Thank you. Quick, I hope, additional question. I just tried to build a new win dt, but I encountered this message:
$ git submodule init
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Do you know what’s wrong?

Never mind. I see an earlier error with a message on what to refer to.

I posted a question here asking how this look can be recreated using darktable (edited in ART). I never got a response but it did promt another question: How do you reverse engineer a look that you like in your photographs? What are the thing that you look for and the language you use to describe the changes that you see and finally how does that language/observation translate into darktable modules? @s7habo

1 Like

Open the photo in Art and see what has been done. Then use the appropriate modules in darktable. You need to know both tools well, of course.

I don’t try to copy the style, but first analyze what I like about the particular style.

How about contrasts, which colors have shadows, midtones and highlights and then use the appropriate modules.

• For contrasts, filmic, tone equalizer, color balance rgb etc.
  • For local contrasts also tone equalizer, diffuse and sharpen, contrast equalizer etc.
  • for colors, mainly color calibration, and color balance rgb.
  • Of course you can also use masks and blend modes.

As for this photo above, I didn’t look at the ART because it was relatively clear what was done - the contrasts themselves and local contrasts were enhanced and as for colors the typical “teal and orange” look was given to the photo that can be achieved relatively easily with channel mixer function in color calibration module.

At the end you can make the shadows a little warmer in the “4ways” tab of the color balance rgb module. And that’s it.

I didn’t want to have such harsh local contrasts in this example.

_MG_0321_02.CR2.xmp (16,1 KB)

darktable 3.9.0~git1241.b35cc00091-1

2 Likes

That’s what I meant as well, I was not looking for 100% reproduction but rather get an insight into the process and find which aspects of the process are the ones that appeal to me.

In the end I did manage to get close but I will have a look to compare how we both approaches this

Thanks you very much, that was the answer I was looking for :slight_smile:

EDIT: For the teal and orange look I used the color balance rbg and you used the channel mixer. Is there a heuristic as to when each of these modules is more suitable? @s7habo

1 Like

I can’t say much about it. I’ve been using channel mixer for ages. It’s available in every photo processing software.

But I think both modules are well suited.

My heuristic is that color balance rgb is the best choice if you want to

1. make changes along various perceptual dimensions (chroma, saturation, brilliance, luminance), or correct/add color casts,
  2. potentially focusing these changes on highlights/shadows/midtones.

Color calibration is, primarily, a tool for making gross changes to your image. Of course with masks and blend modes, it can be very versatile. See eg this section in this previous tutorial from @s7habo.

3 Likes

Hi Boris @s7habo,
what I would really love to see is an episode focusing on portrait photography.
In particular I’m interested in nice and rich skintones. In “Darktable Episode 46” you covered it quickly, but I think it would be worth a full episode. Especialy skintones with flurecent lighting are tricky.

3 Likes

Do you have an example of this?

I have one I find particulary tricky, but the people in the image don’t want me to publicy share the image.
I will seach in my archive, but maybe someone else can help?

1 Like

Could you cover their eyes or enough to obscure …blow it up at least to show the type of skin that is the issue?? Sending as a zoomed screenshot should not reveal too much…Alternatively…I forget the link but I will find it…there is a ton of free raw portrait shots…maybe you can scan that for something close??

Free Raw Photos - Signature Edits - Improve Your Photography :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s the one :slight_smile:

That’s the one I was talking about. Did my best with the whitebalance and basic color balance rgb. Removed the rest of my edit.

That might be a good one to try:

https://www.signatureedits.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=useyourdrive-download&account_id=114696266120240563741&id=1Ho55lAWr8Q6oXMChcdEtz1-Jtkkx59B0&dl=1&listtoken=eaf0b3403d7026ac16a3babe1d360a9f

OMG! This one is so bad in every way: overexposed near the face, colors shifted, different light sources, very high noise…

This is more about “forensic reconstruction” and not so much about processing.

I mean, this one is good as an exercise but I won’t want to have it in an episode.

But you can have my sidecar file and see what I did.

IMG_3546.cr2.xmp (16,1 KB)

darktable 3.9.0~git1241.b35cc00091-1

3 Likes

Your photo with three girls above would be much easier to edit and is also much more pleasing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Color correction in this photo can be done with channel mixer. Here is example in GIMP:

Channel mixer in the darktable is in the color calibration module. These are the R, G, and B tabs.

1 Like

What version of DT are you on?? You could try the color matching if you are on a recent dev build and try some of the hue chroma values as proposed in this paper AP mentions in his video

Just for fun anyway…