Editing moments with darktable

If you don’t expect it, you’ll wonder why you cannot reproduce what you see in the video. Especially not nice in videos about e.g. color grading.

And for those that spent time and effort to set up their color management correctly, it must be frustrating to see that any video they publish is way off…

1 Like

My initial inquiry about this was caused by the confusion @rvietor describes: what I could get from dt didn’t match the video, and I wondered if there was something wrong with my setup. @s7habo confirmed above that there wasn’t, and others provided suggestions on how I might fix it, all of which I appreciate. Now I know, and others can learn from this, that this can happen, so don’t be alarmed, your dt setup is probably okay, and it’s the video that is off.

So brillant episode 55!
Thank you!

1 Like

New episode: Explanation of the channel mixer (demo with GIMP)

Don’t be confused by the fact that I only used GIMP in this episode. It was necessary in order to better visualise the functioning of the channel mixer. :slightly_smiling_face:

20 Likes

To be honest I stopped watching the previous video (#55), because I was very confused.
Though the new video (#56) is quite lengthy, it explains the topic extremely clearly.
Thanks a lot for that visualization!

1 Like

The channel mixer is something that is so powerful but many users shy away…this old post also has a great explanation and some amazing discussions beyond that wrt BW images… I stumbled on it and it is really informative…

2 Likes

Thank you Boris!
This is significant amount of work and it does explain a lot.
One item that I am struggling with is identifying neutral colored objects on the picture. But I don’t think there is a magic solution. Most likely it is just practice and compare. And once again - I appreciate the work done in explaining the functionality.

You are right @priort many people shy away from the tool. And indeed it is very powerful.

2 Likes

Using the vectorscope or waveforms and restricting that to your selection you can test areas…see if your eyes match the data :slight_smile:

Here is a nice little cheat sheet also

The Channel Mixer.pdf (68.9 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you!

For the original article, which has the images that can be clicked on to see original, etc. results:

2 Likes

IMO, this series of videos would make a great book. I’d buy it for sure. It’s personally much easier for me to review printed / textual material than video, for whatever reason. I tend to retain what I read better than what I watch. But of course in many respects it’s more difficult and time-consuming to create textual material.

This kind of content helps to organize and focus the big “wall of information” that sometimes seems to stand between me and darktable.

4 Likes

Having nice written material is a bonus for sure but DT has been changing so much that things quickly become outdated and this thread with the combination of the videos and @s7habo being so willing to address questions with details posts and further videos is more powerful IMO than a static document providing a dynamic interactive exchange of information that can’t be matched by a static document…

EDIT…It can create big documents but for some key post that stretch out and contain lots of information I just simply PDF print them to have that static file I can review and search…

3 Likes

New Episode: Processing of raw files with high dynamic range :city_sunrise:

All Raw files from this episode are from: https://www.signatureedits.com/

Sidecar files:

NEF_8282.NEF.xmp (12,9 KB)
Photo cred Konstantin_2021.ARW.xmp (11,9 KB)
Photo cred Konstantin_2021_02.ARW.xmp (9,1 KB)
Tag @signatureeditsco IMG_2766.CR2.xmp (10,8 KB)
_DSC5265.ARW.xmp (18,5 KB)

22 Likes

Thank you, Boris.
Valuable explanation of the tone equalizer module in that episode :slight_smile:

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

2 Likes

@s7habo
Is there any reason to prefer using one TE to manipulate both dark and light areas over using two TE modules, one for dark areas and one for light areas, other than the addition of a second module.

I’m not sure I understood your question correctly.
Why use two instances when you can do it with one?

In the example above in the video, I used the second instance because I couldn’t get the highlights dark enough with the first. -2 EVs what TE offers was not enough.

1 Like

I have seen cases where there was a very bright area that was handled by shifting the histogram way to the left, such that the left tail was off the scale, to work on the bright area, and then using a second instance with the histogram in the middle to work on the darker areas. I just wondered if there was a downside to doing that?

One instance gets the same input data…with 2 the second is working with the results from the first…it really shouldn’t be an issue IMO

1 Like

Yes, that would be a possibility. But I wanted to demonstrate the “contrast compensation function” of the mask in TE in the video, because the example was very suitable and this function is rarely used and for some it is not clear what it does.

4 Likes

Do you have any opinions or use cases for the different norms when creating and adjusting your TE mask??