Editing moments with darktable

Thanks Boris

1 Like

Hi all.
Question.
I’m trying to study the filmic rgb module more thoroughly and I’m watching Bruce Williams’ lesson - darktable ep 057 - The Filmic RGB module. darktable ep 057 - The Filmic RGB module - YouTube
In it he talks about such a thing as middle-gray luminance in the scene tab.
Снимок экрана 2022-06-06 в 18.48.19

Maybe you need to switch something in the module to activate this slider? Because I do not see it anywhere.
Снимок экрана 2022-06-06 в 18.50.33

Looked for a similar topic from Boris, but his titles don’t describe what the lesson will be about. Been reviewing his lessons. There is mention of this video, but a little bit of it everywhere. Of course, I will try to put it all together to clearly understand how the module is set up, but for now I am trying to learn how to work with the tool, based on the lesson, where everything is collected in one video.

This video about Filmic modul from Bruce is very old. Filmic has been improved quite a bit in the meantime.
Middle gray luminance has been discarded because now you control the brightness with exposure module.

You can see some things about Filmic in this video from me:

2 Likes

grafik

How far it is advisable to use this option, others will know better.

1 Like

Thanks.

Who are the others? I don’t quite get it, to be honest.

Boris for example, who already answered, has much more knowledge than I do.

But to not get too much off-topic, you might want to have a look here:

2 Likes

Yes, for now Boris’s 57th video is enough for me. When I get curious, I’ll keep going.)
Thanks. I’ve bookmarked your links.

1 Like

It’s disabled by reason - you can enable it if you know what you’re doing.
The best practice is to set middle gray via exposure because that’s quite early in the pipe and several module behaves better if middle grey is properly set. There might be usecases to tweak that setting later (e.g. late exposure hangers can affect parametric mask) then it might make sense to do it in filmic.

1 Like

Thanks for your explanation. It might be more interesting for @EsTaF since he was wondering where the setting is. I think the two older topics I linked also contain some nice statements about why it’s gone. For my part I’ve anyway never used it.

Thank you Boris, very nice video.

I noticed very often you re order the stack (so the next module is not influenced by the adjustment already done). I am curious - if this re ordering is not done - are you noticing significant change? I am asking because I read somewhere darktable 3.8 user manual - module order that in general DT would handle the order well and rarely reordering of the module is needed.

Also - in some other videos I have seen that photographers adjust a tiny bit the eyes - like size. Is this possible in DT? I tried the liquefy module but it always pushes in one direction. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

I understand this maybe controversial and even if possible can easily go from barely noticeable to very wrong.

Ctrl click on the arrow head this toggles from radial in to radial out to push…

Examples shown in the module…its a pretty big hog on resources so it can be slow

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/3.8/en/module-reference/processing-modules/liquify/

1 Like

Yeah. Too bad dt can’t process video. I mean log video. So I process video easily by throwing the program tiff files from Davinci. It’s a pity, because I can’t use all power of the program - sharpening, grain manipulation. In filmic rgb I have to turn off iterations of image processing and adding noise to light. The hald file just can’t handle all the retouching.
But this is another topic, not related to this branch, because the work with video is already and support for output boards (deklink the same) and support for control panels (all these balls for adjustments). And in general - this is another topic.

Thank you! exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

As usual I am a little lost but if you are referring to using DT to edit tiffs spit out from log video and correcting that in DT with a LUT like you would a video editor I think you will likely need to move the LUT module and not use it where it is…even then I am not sure exactly where or of the results. You would have to expt. Then maybe depending on what you typically end up with you might find that filmic might not even be what you would want to use…its just a global tone mapper

In any case you might find some of the discussion from here touches on this aspect of DT…

Nah. You need a separate paint program. From developing the video to interpreting it in rec.709/etc. At the level of coloring, as Darktable, only “baselight” ( FilmLight | Products | Baselight ) level programs can perform - proprietary of course.

Ok. The following case is a good task to think about:

With Retouch module I would like to improve/change (among other changes) color tone of skin.
But, the retouch module comes hierarchically before the white balance (color calibration module).

I’m thinking how to replace this point in the darktable

Один человек подсказал мне вариант Park. Autumn. day. Beauty. - #21 by priort But still, that’s not it.

Why - Park. Autumn. day. Beauty. - #80 by EsTaF

1 Like

:point_down:

4 Likes

Well, in general, if we proceed from the mechanism of color balance rgb tools, then yes - this option is analogous to the work of the shift of lightness relative to saturation in hsl vs hsv. yes, Boris. Thank you. Didn’t think of that, although I knew it works that way. Closed.

Ideally, you can do all this without a mask.