Editing moments with darktable

thank you!

Hello Boris,
Thank you for your great video series. The videos help me a lot with understanding and using Darktable.
Now I have been trying to edit pictures of dogs for a long time, but fail because the animal does not look plastic or realistic. I also try to apply Doge & Burn in the fur based on LR instructions so that it becomes more realistic. Do you have a tip or would you maybe make a video about it? Thank you very much for that.
Many greetings Alex

hallo @jola and welcome to the forum!

Regarding dodging and burning in darktable, maybe this video can help:

6 Likes

Hi @s7habo ,
thx a lot for this video link, i will show it tomorrow. For today it is enough to work at the pc :slight_smile:
Greetings alex

1 Like

The author of the tone eq module also has some videos he made on the subject ā€¦

5 Likes

Hello @s7habo ,
Thank you again for the video tip. I have now looked at the video - okay I had to watch it twice because I had big problems to understand Andy linguistically. But it is a very good approach that I like and which I will definitely try.

Hello @priort ,
I also thank you very much for the references to the videos of Aurelien. I will still look at this, but first I have an approach through the boris tip, which I will try out at first.

Thank you both for your help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He has a fine accent from wonderful Cheshire, UK! Incidentally, that was where I was born and raised but heā€™s got a much thicker accent than me.

1 Like

@europlatus , It wasnā€™t meant negatively or in a bad way at all. sorry if thatā€™s how it came across. Itā€™s difficult for me to follow the English language, especially when it comes to a topic that I donā€™t yet understand. So sorry again if I expressed myself incorrectly.

1 Like

@jola No need to apologize at all! Thick accents can be hard to understand, so itā€™s only natural a non-native speaker would have trouble. English speakers themselves find many accents hard to understand, and I can guarantee that many people from outside Northern England would have some trouble with Andyā€™s accent. I canā€™t speak for him of course, but I donā€™t take offence when someone has trouble understanding me. As long as they arenā€™t saying something like ā€œyour accent sounds like shitā€!

2 Likes

@europlatus , everything is fine! I think accent is great. I myself have an accent, badisch with a Swiss touch. But I understand the Swiss language almost without any problems. Accent rules :wink:

Itā€™d be super cool if Andy took the time to at least spell the project name correctly in his videos :man_shrugging:

Whatā€™s wrong with ā€œDark Tableā€? :wink:
Iā€™ve only watched a couple of his videos recently but he seems to be saying some very positive things about darktable these days, which is good to see.

@jola I have a little Northern English accent from where I was born and raised, a little Southern English accent inherited from my parents, a little Canadian twang from living here for 20 years, and all this means that when I say where Iā€™m from, people always say, ā€œOh, I thought you were Australianā€! :smiley:

2 Likes

Nothing if youā€™re talking about my dining room table, which is made of walnut, or a similar table.

Otherwise faq | darktable

Yeah but he is supposed to be educating people but he himself doesnā€™t do enough research.

Thereā€™s definitely the sense that his videos go out before heā€™s fully understood something, at least some of the earlier videos about darktable, e.g. using two display transform modules, multiple instances of modules no longer recommended, etc. He does admit that some of those videos arenā€™t meant to be taken as tutorials. And he demonstrates how you can get great results by doing everything in ā€œnon-recommendedā€ ways, which speaks to the power of darktable as a toolbox. So thereā€™s that.

Theyā€™re interesting to watch by experienced users. But I would definitely point beginners to Bruce Williams for learning darktable the correct way.

For me, the worst thing is that he doesnā€™t seem open to constructive criticism.

@s7habo
Boris, didnā€™t you make a video that explained the masks tab on cb rgb? If so, would you tell me what that was?

I think I found it: episode 43.

1 Like

@s7habo Thank you for this video & all your other videos! You are changing my entire photographic process. Rather than just shooting an image and later wrestling with how I want to process it . I am developing the practice of looking at my subject, and thinking about how I might process it before I click the shutter. Itā€™s fun, and itā€™s helping with using Darktable more effectively. I still have a LOT to learn though!

5 Likes

Mutts Nuts = ā€˜Something regarded as outstandingly good.ā€™ (the missing (t) could be a dialect thing :innocent:) - the SUM brush really is outstanding, and Andyā€™s demo is serving it well.

Itā€™s a variation on ā€œthe dogā€™s bollocksā€, which is a very British thing, and itself a variation of ā€œthe beeā€™s kneesā€. There is no missing (t). ā€œNutsā€ is slang for testicles.