Editing moments with darktable

One thing I struggle with using, say, multiply blend mode is that I often get clipping warnings even after adjusting the fulcrum and opacity, I think because the colours are out of gamut.

This could be trueā€¦often multiply blend mode needs to be used at 30% or less opacity or the effect will be over doneā€¦also it could be the way you set up your clipped settingsā€¦the clipping warnings come from what you have set as your histogram profileā€¦in most cases it can be safely set at rec2020ā€¦as long as you donā€™t clip during processing your output profile should handle gamut mapping but some people set it to a low gamut and might get unnecessary clipping warningsā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™d just been wondering maybe i needed to adjust the clipping warnings. Good point

Yes, that worked. Thanks

@s7habo
I just watched Episode 19: Into the mist again. If you edited that image today, would you use tone equalizer for all those instances of tone curve?

2 Likes

Since darktable has changed a lot in the meantime, I would do quite a few things differently. I think it would be a combination between different modules, including - as you guessed - several instances of the tone equalizer, yes.

3 Likes

Hey Boris. Now that Iā€™ve got Ubuntu installed with a decent GPU, I stole your use of multiple instances of color balance rgb (and soft contrast with diffuse and sharpen). Maybe too much teal in the grass, not sure. But this technique really helps to bring pics alive.

Reuploaded pic after helpful white balance suggestion from Claes

5 Likes

After a long break, new episode: editing and addressing some questions part 1: :national_park:

28 Likes

Boris
Thanks for your amazing Youtube demonstrations of what Darktable can do.
They get better all the time, especially since you started narrating them.
Maybe this is a big ask, or I may not have seen it, but could you add a download to the file youā€™ve been editing plus the .xmp?

I realise these are demonstrations but, since things move so quickly for my older brain, I thought I would retain more from seeing what you did in each module.

Maybe you did answer my question in Aprilā€™19 - are your RAW files really 450MB total?

Nice you can go on bicycle tours through idyllic landscape from Erfurt.
Yes, the landscape is lovely - I cycled through Weimar a couple of times, once en route from Istanbul and the other time from Helsinki.

Thanks from John at the bottom of New Zealand

1 Like

Hi @JohnNZ and welcome to the forum!

I choose the photos for episodes thoughtfully. They have to appeal to me in some way. And that is very important to demonstrate the potential of the software. Not every photo is worth wasting peopleā€™s time on editing.

What I mean by that is, the photos I choose are not just ā€œpracticeā€ photos for tutorial. Thatā€™s what I do when I offer a class.

Of course, that doesnā€™t mean that all of these examples from my episodes are so good that I want to print them immediately and offer them for sale.

But for some of them I donā€™t want to spoil that option by offering them under CC license to everyone. This is a part of my income.

In addition, some are also commissioned work and I can not offer them just like that.

So, please understand, that it is not so easy for me to provide the raw files from the episodes.

There is also another reason why I donā€™t like to offer them.

Of course, you can learn a lot by following the steps with concrete examples. But I suppose the people who watch the videos donā€™t want to learn how to process my photos, but their own.

You learn much better by understanding the logic behind the steps and immediately applying it to your own photos. But:

Thatā€™s a good point. I am aware of that and accordingly I am very happy to clarify here the steps that were too fast or incomprehensible. Gladly also with corresponding screenshots.

I would also highly recommend to use the ā€œPlay Rawā€ category here in the forum, where you can offer your own raw files for editing. There you can also ask your questions or wishes and Iā€™m also happy to answer them alongside other participants here.

This also gives me another idea. This refers to all interested people. The question is how best to make it happen:

I would be happy to make extra episodes with your own raw files that I could edit and respond to your questions and wishes. I could call them ā€œPlay Raw from Pixls.usā€ or whatever you want and process a maximum of 4-5 raw files per episode.

The only question is how best to organize this. You can offer your raw files either, as usual, in category ā€œPlay Rawā€ and inform me that you like to offer it for one of the episode with corresponding questions, or you offer your files here with appropriate note, what I should include in the processing.

I would be for the first option, because then others can also participate.

What do you think about it?

It depends on what camera I used. Raw files from Nikon D7200 are not so big - about 30 MB but files from my second camera Nikon D850 are about 90 MB each.

11 Likes

You can play them back slower and or pause and take screen shotsā€¦

3 Likes

I create Word documents documenting each moduleā€™s settings and the change in the preview. I open two instances of the file, one in which I follow the modules and one the images. Iā€™ve converted one these files to a pdf, so you can see how I do it. Since it originally is a Word document, which has all the issues associated with my particular templates, thereā€™s little chance my document would look right on anyone elseā€™s computer. The pdf doesnā€™t get the page shading quite right either. Also, I have a 27 inch screen. But you can get the idea from this.

Edit: changed example to one of Borisā€™ videos.
Boris Hajdukovic 1 .pdf (15.3 MB)

12 Likes

Nice example :smiley: - and a good idea in general.

1 Like

Thanks for your considered reply.
Very generous knowing the breadth of your ā€˜fanā€™ base and the extent of the work you do.

Yes, the ā€˜PlayRawā€™ category - I think the option as it currently stands is still the best as, as you say, it is available to everyone.

I was in Erfurt once, at Ikea, helping a couple of girls pick up furniture.
They stayed with us in NZ and we cycled the Ilm and Saale together - lovely.

1 Like

Thanks, Todd, I have done this previously.
It does help but, between seeing whatā€™s moved in a module, itā€™s not always easy to also appreciate itā€™s effect.

1 Like

Marvelous!!!
Thanks of course to @s7habo for teaching me so muchā€¦
and to @Underexposed for making and sharing this document.

1 Like

Thanks for another great tutorial, I enjoyed every minute and learned a lot, again.

Compared to your earlier edits (especially from years ago), my impression is that for the aesthetic part of editing (as opposed to technical, eg fixing CA and noise), you focus on the composition of a few building blocks: exposure, color calibration, tone equalizer, and of course diffuse or sharpen. Multiple instances, masks, blending modes and module ordering make these really powerful.

If you have the time, I have a very specific question: when do you use detail preservation in the tone equalizer. In earlier edits you made a lot of use of it (especially multiple instances, compress with detail preservation then stretch without it), but in these edits you just use a simple tone curve.

If you increase contrast you donā€™t need detail preservation. If you decrease it, you do.

1 Like

Iā€™ll answer that question for you in my next episode. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe this could help answer the question.