Editing moments with darktable

Wow that feature is gold! Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Thanks for the click mouse wheel to zoom tip.

1 Like

New episode: white balance and color grading with channel mixer:

All raw files from this episode are from :

You can download it there and try it yourself :slight_smile:

Sidecar files:

26.CR2.xmp (15,1 KB)
@thrissurkaranphotography.CR2.xmp (9,6 KB)
PANA2569.RW2.xmp (12,2 KB)
PANA8450.RW2.xmp (10,0 KB)
signatureditsfreerawsANA_2900.NEF.xmp (11,4 KB)

Edited with: darktable 3.9.0~git1285.ab83b180bf-1

24 Likes

Thank you @s7habo !
You used the normalize channels check box for the brightness. My understanding is to affect only the skin tones.
Would you please provide a few more details?
Why would it affect only the skin tone?
Is normalizing similar like moving all channels together?
(this was for the last image by the way - the lady under the umbrella)

The changes are global to the whole image unless masked. I suspect although Boris will comment that he meant, use normalize to maintain the original brightness as much as possible and not mess up the skin tonesā€¦

1 Like

@priort is actually correct in his assumption.

That was simply the wrong wording at the time. Actually, I should have said, , "That brightening you will immediately see on the skin ", because it has the highest proportion of red and this area is accordingly affected the most.

Without normalization, when you lighten one colour channel, the image becomes brighter overall, and then you have to darken other colour channels to maintain overall brightness.

I donā€™t really use normalization because it gives me that additional control over the brightness of the whole photo, but in this example I didnā€™t want that. I wanted to see effect of brightening immediately only on the skin (because it has the highest proportion of red) without the overall brightness suffering too much.

But thank you for your question, it is extremely important that I express myself precisely when I speak because otherwise one causes unnecessary confusion with inappropriate formulations!

Sometimes itā€™s due to the fact that I donā€™t speak English well yet, but thatā€™s no excuse.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m very grateful that people ask me questions here and in the comments section of the video.

9 Likes

I think your English is exceptionalā€¦Even a native speaker might choose words in the moment that leave their comments open to interpretationā€¦ or at least further clarificationā€¦you should never question your command of English IMO you do a great job. Thanks for all your contributions. I think you inspire a lot of DT users with your ability to show what is possibleā€¦

20 Likes

@s7habo
I have a BenQ monitor, recently calibrated. There is a significant difference between the red of the skin in the first picture, using your sidecar, on my monitor and the red of the skin in your video. Here is a jpg of the image using your sidecar:

Does that have the same redness on your monitor as your edited image?

How about anyone else?

I see no difference. On the left is the photo you offered here and on the right is the raw file with the sidecar file from me:

Here is the same: Youtube vs. your photo:

Thanks for the comparison. They do match in color as I look at them here, but not when I view the video. Iā€™ve checked both on Firefox and Edge, so it doesnā€™t seem to be color management of the browser, but somehow only when viewing video.

have you tweaked the video settings for your graphics cardā€¦I think NVidia have some settings that are video specificā€¦I have no idea but just out of curiosity

Iā€™ve never looked at the card settings, so I will have to investigate.

I have no idea and assuming you have something from Nvidia although again there must be an AMD equivalent ā€œcontrol panelā€

As you can see even the DNR of the video is by default capped at 235 and not 255ā€¦someone might be able to say why?? But there are several setting that can affect your video ā€¦I am not saying this is your issue but I guess it could beā€¦

I couldnā€™t find anything that made a difference.

The browsers have different setting for calibration.
example for firefox
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1171999
At least on Linux it matters.
Not sure about other OS but again - Linux - not all viewers are color managed.
I use Geeqie
https://pixls.us/software/

I couldnā€™t find anything affecting video color management. Comparing Borisā€™ pictures above to what I see in dt and my jpg viewer, they match. What is off is the video only.

this is why I suggested checking the browser as it is one program displaying the content vs another.
if the screen is calibrated - it does not mean necessarily that all of the other programs know how to utilize the profile that is generated.

The color on this page seems fine; it matches what I see in dt. The color in the video seems too red. I cannot find any setting that controls the one separately from the other.

This can indeed be something with colour profile management in the browser. Here is a video with a similar problem in Chrome browser:

3 Likes

And here is what I use on Firefox under
about:config

where the profile is the one I generate with DisplayCAL