Editing moments with darktable

1000 posts milestone… and an treasure trove of information… Thanks for your contribution, time and effort sharing your talents with us all…

6 Likes

I’d like to analyse and achieve effects similar to this gentleman starting from 5 m 29 s:

Well I can make the sky more cyan and less saturated, in another post Boris also answered me how to achieve something – I think – I see here done with the reds, but there is something more with this look.

Pictures in the video are not over saturated nor underexposed, yet they are – I don’t know :thinking: – deep? Rich?

2 Likes

They have a ton of contrast.

3 Likes

And yes, as @paperdigits has already noticed, the photos have strong contrasts. In some examples, he has also raised the black point and lowered the white point, which makes the contrasts in these areas a little “softer”.

I can also demonstrate this in the next episode. We’ll wait a little longer to see if there are any other requests. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Boris! Thank you again for your wonderful videos! We learn a lot from them!
I have a request for an upcoming video: if you can do one dedicated exclusively to RGB primaries , as a replacement of Color calibration module. I saw an approach to it in one of your videos, but I would like you to develop all the possibilities it has.
Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Split-toning using Color balance rgb and primaries?

Maybe naturalistic vs expressionistic edits?

2 Likes

What can you understand by that? Do you have any examples?

I was thinking about this topic that I posted:

1 Like

An attempt to the pastel look… soft colors without saturation. I suspect you also need the complementary colors in the scene to make this work?

The original raw without editing and missing final crop:

I will say the subject is not very suitable because there are too many small details without a clear separation between different areas, which makes the photo very restless.

And yes, you also need a good pastel tones combination that harmonize with each other:

But too many details with too much color dispersion make it difficult to get a nice clean composition.

2 Likes

Until there’s support for common log formats (like Sony S-Log3 S-Gamut3.Cine and ARRI LogC3) in the lut 3D module, I’d love to see a video on the hacky LUT baking outlined in this post for working around the problem. It would also be helpful to discuss the pipeline or module order for this approach.

I guess it’s much to ask for as it involves proprietary software (Resolve) and is on the technical side…

Hello @s7habo. How did make that sky so blue?
I did not directly mean the jpeg to be edited, just posted the RAW jpeg export to show where the editing is coming from. Many thanks still for the effort.

1 Like

I have reduced the input green and input blue in the red channel in the channel mixer. And increased the red input as compensation.

That is clear. I had to somehow answer the question with colors. This is best done with an example. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is indeed a technical aspect that I don’t know much about.

But, you could try talking to Gus. It seems that he knows both tools and is also very knowledgeable about technical matters. Maybe you can contact him via his YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@StudioPetrikas/videos

2 Likes

Thanks! You’re right, he also seems to be into Resolve. I remember watching his video on AgX in Resolve.

Was it not @Xavier_Bourque that worked through that hacked workflow… I was able to follow his instructions… I did it for a couple of LUTS as proof of concept but I dont’ really make much use of them…

Thanks Boris, I’ve been working on a style like this for wildflower photos and your approach helps a lot. I think that the reduced global contrast in Sigmoid combined with the increased local contrast adds a lot of punch that would otherwise be lost. Here’s a quick sample from a shot I took the other day:

And another one of a historic house on the property:

One problem I’ve had with this look is getting the green to look right. I went for a warmer look for the flower shot, but the green seems a bit “sickly” to me. Any thoughts on that from you or anyone else would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’ve been really enjoying the new colour equalizer in darktable 4.7 for calming down luminous greens, mostly darkening grass, I’ve found that the tone equalizer can make foliage look a bit strange, for instance if the difference between a light patch and a darker patch on a tree or bush is too much, it’s mostly been a problem when lightening or darkening an area too much

1 Like

Yes, I really like the Color Equalizer and I think it fills one my last remaining voids in DT. I think my issue is as much an eyeball calibration problem as anything else. But I while I can get pleasing pastel tones without too much trouble in the warm tones, greens always seem to be off. I can’t seem to hit that cheerful hue when working in high key images.

1 Like

I used to use the green patches or select the green and use the CLUT module…it was quite nice…I think I even had/have a preset called tone down the greens :slight_smile:

1 Like