Editing XMP/IPTC in digiKam ???

Something I learned in following a currently ongoing thread about syncing Metadata prompted me to investigate and play around with the XMP/IPTC fields in digiKam. _

Not wanting to muddy up and confuse the other thread, I created this one. _

I have been using three separate programs to accomplish all of my Metadata editing. _

FastStone handles both single and batch editing anything in the “Properties” with accurate ease, including altering and correcting timestamps. _

XnView handles batch editing embedded jpeg comments, and adding/editing XMP/IPTC data. _

digiKam (along with Google Earth) applies the GPS data; and, digiKam applies the keyword tags. _

My system keeps me jumping back and forth between these three programs, but if I follow the correct order of procedure, I get the end result that I want. _

My main hurdle in all of this is NOBODY seems to have the same meaning/use for each field; and, something performed out of order in one program will alter, overwrite, or erase things already applied in another program. _

That being said, I decided to check out how digiKam handles editing the XMP/IPTC fields. _
I am using 64-bit WINDOWS 7 - digiKam 5.9 _

The geolocation data and keyword tags that digiKam applies are always visible in all of my other programs. _

However, concerning the “Description” tab found in the “Captions” tab, although digiKam will display any XMP/IPTC data that has been applied in any other program, nothing I do in digiKam in those fields, no matter what I do, write Metadata to file, whatever, will display outside of digiKam. _

Concerning the “Information” tab in the same "Captions tab, it will not allow me to enter any information directly in the provided fields. _

When I click the little pencil box in the upper right corner, I get a box with fields to create a template; I enter the pertinent information in the spaces provided, click Okay, and I have no idea where the template I just created has gone to; it sure doesn’t show up in the template drop-down menu. _

For what it is worth, I find digiKam quite handy for reading XMP/IPTC information created in other programs, but quite useless in creating the information itself - at least in Windows 7. _

Like I already said, the keyword tags and GPS info applied in digiKam locks itself into the file and is readable in every program I have tried; however, the XMP/IPTC editing capabilities appear to be non-functional in Windows. _

Am I missing something obvious in trying to get this to work ? _

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Hello,

I am going to address your question partially.

First off, I would use the latest stable version available for your system which is 6.4.0

https://download.kde.org/stable/digikam/6.4.0/digiKam-6.4.0-Win64.exe.mirrorlist

This will ensure you are not dealing with malfunctions that are already fixed. Generally newer digiKam versions have less bugs (try digiKam 4.12.0 and note the progress)

Description issue

I had better visibility in another programs when used Caption field not Description (the lower one).

Metadata Editor (Ctrl Shift M) allows for editing more metadata than general digiKam GUI (panels and tabs).

Also there is a way to customize what exact IPTC/XMP etc. metadata fields digiKam writes in the Settings - Metadata - (the last tab).

I used Picasa and WLPG prior to digiKam myself and there was a little mess here and there but nothing major. I tried to clean it up but then gave up and accepted it as is (until my kids grow up so I will have time to do such things).

Thanks; I will get that installed.

That may prove useful when I get it figured out.

What is WLPG ?

What also might be useful in understanding what is going on: have a look at the different side car files. They are a form of XML, so human-readable, and with a bit of attention you’ll figure out where the data you enter end up. And you can see the differences between the different programs you use.

In a nutshell, the XMP format allows extensions in the form of namespaces. This means that there are often several ways to encode the same piece of information. And not all programs read the same namespaces…

Digikam can read a decent number of them, and iirc you can specify in which order they should be tried. Also the namespaces used for writing can be specified.

Otoh, if one of your programs insists on using an obscure namespace, changes are Digikam won’t use the information in those namespaces

Thanks for the explanation about the namespaces.

Just to be sure, I just examined a few image folders that have a complete complement of Metadata and there are no sidecar files whatsoever (which is the way I like it).
The only sidecar files I ever see are those generated by my RAW converter, DxO.

Maybe I have the option to use or not use sidecar files; I will check it out.

WLPG is Windows Live Photo Gallery.

It was pretty good actually and I wish they would keep developing it…

Many people also find exiftool useful for investigating on what is going on with your metadata. You can download it from their website, rename to exiftool.exe, copy to c:\Windows directory and then just launch it by typing exiftool in your command line (press Windows key + R, type “cmd”, press Enter)

I used “exiftool -a -s -G1 FILE” , the FILE you don’t have to type manually path and filename but instead you can drag and drop a file from Windows File Explorer to the console.

You will be surprised to see how much info is written in there.

1 Like

Yes, sidecars are optional in digiKam. I think the option is deactivated by default