Eggleston slideshow on lensculture - "banal bcomes menacing"

When I was reading about his work the other day, I came across a video saying how he used a dye transfer process to make the prints. Sounded quite tricky but the benefit was he got vivid colours.

Thanks, interesting idea. (Though I don’t think I have anything much with which to clone away the truck)

Raw Convert’s image is a definite Eggleston emulating contender:) Like to
see it printed with Eggleston’s dye process. Some of Eggleston’s photos
resonate with me and some not so much–like other photographer’s images.
The white dog in the car window is a favorite. The tricycle is not–even
though it is somehow striking in its desolation.

Yes, I think we take ‘good color’ for granted these days, but in the film days of yore, you got different interpretations of color depending on your film selection. I could almost always pick out Ektachrome from Kodachrome images; these days, you have to be a lot more perceptive about such to distinguish Nikon-Canon-Fuji-etc…

Oh yes, it’s color gone crazy now. Once, you’d leave the house with a batch of film–usually one or two kinds and there weren’t that many choices–Ektachrome on a dull day and Kodachrome when the sun shined. Now, we’re bracketing film simulations or converting RAW to whatever we want. The limitations of film imposed a certain discipline just as charcoal on paper do. Now similarly, I download Krita, I can draw or paint anything I want, but what? It seems to take a different form of discipline to produce something worthwhile, or to even begin.

1 Like

Here is a quick try using GIMP!!

Here is Before Image

1. duplicated the original layer twice, the top layer blend mode changed to MULITPLY. Put a layer mask on that layer and blended using the Gradient tool up to the base of of the building.

2. Cropped to taste.

3. Selected the white pick-up truck by lasso tool and filled with white color and removed the selection. So now I have a white patch instead of truck. Opened GMIC Qt and used Inpaint[patch] (with white color mask) with default values.

4. Used clone tool with low opacity to clean up Inpaint work.

5. Used Interactive Color Mask of GMIC to select the grass and exported the mask as New active layer. Used eraser tool to remove everything except the front lawn.

6. Improved the color of the lawn to taste.

Done in about ten minutes.

1 Like

Very good! I’m impressed. It’s got a lot of presence.
? The next step is to make the graffiti face the same colour as the orange at the end of the grey strip!

@RawConvert, No no. I feel that if there are two many points emphasized, then the photo loses its focus. For me, it’s the little patch of blue door and its similarity to the sky that makes the picture. The darkening of the bund behind the building and colorfullness of the grass in front accentuates the point.
The final touch will be to call this photo Blue Door instead of pavillion. Now the viewer has no choice to but to see the door :wink::wink:

Perusing reddit when this was posted and immediately thought of this thread!

2 Likes