Eight Fuji film simulation inspired presets for RawTherapee - My take

First, a little introduction: For the last 6 years, I’ve used Lightroom. It’s a good program, but I really dislike Adobe and as a user of FOSS software, I really wanted to use a native Linux FOSS RAW processor. RawTherapee looks like a really complete and powerful RAW processor, but it’s IMO much harder to get good results quickly and I personally don’t like the default preset with it’s auto exposure. Anyway, after a lot of hard work, I’ve managed to make some presets that satisfy me needs and tastes.

Here are 8 presets inspired by the current 8 Fuji film simulation modes (only counting the two main B&W modes and not their derivatives). The goal with these presets is to be able to apply them to any picture and be done with it. Most of my pictures won’t need any more post processing except maybe for some exposure and white balance adjustments. I have used a different approach from the one arangast used for the presets he recently posted.

What is affected by those presets:
-No auto exposure. Unfortunately, presets with custom tone curves will reset any exposure adjustment made prior to applying the preset.
-Custom tone curves.
-HSV curves.
-Black & White. Desaturation for Acros and Monochrome, disabled for the others.
-Basic sharpening.
-Automatic chroma noise reduction.

I have made those presets for my Sony A7, but they give good results with Canon 5D and Olympus XZ-1 RAW files.

Don’t hesitate to modify and re-upload them if you think you can make them better.

Acros_01.pp3 (2.9 KB)
Astia_01.pp3 (3.1 KB)
Chrome_01.pp3 (3.1 KB)
Velvia_01.pp3 (3.1 KB)
Monochrome_01.pp3 (2.9 KB)
ProNegHi_01.pp3 (3.1 KB)
ProNegStd_01.pp3 (3.1 KB)
Provia_01.pp3 (3.1 KB)

7 Likes

Some (a lot of) samples (only the presets have been applied):

Provia:

Chrome:

Velvia:

Provia:

Chrome:

Velvia:

Acros:

Provia:

ProNegHi:

Chrome:

Velvia:

Acros:

Provia:

Chrome:

Velvia:

2 Likes

Other samples to show the skin tones:

Acros:

Astia:

Chrome:

Monochrome:

ProNegHi:

ProNegStd:

Provia:

Velvia:

2 Likes

Very nice job and thank you for sharing. Is there a specific license for these presets and do you have them hosted anywhere like github?

Thanks! I had not thought about uploading them to github, good idea. I think I’d use GPLv3.

Edit:
Released under public domain.

1 Like

You cannot apply or enforce GPLv3 on a PP3 file. You can release it into the public domain under CC0.

OK, thanks for the info. Public domain it is then.

1 Like