Embrace the noise

I wanted to name it “Embrace the grain” but then i remembered i shoot digital, no grain, but noise. But i think it’s a good idea not to strive to polish away all the noise out of an image, but just embrace it as it’s part of the process.

9 Likes

I agree with you, the noise really adds to the aesthetic of this image. Moody, dark, its awesome!

1 Like

I also agree. The noise fits well with the image. I tried something similar here.

1 Like

Moody and grainy, loving it!

1 Like

don’t mind some noise at all but this is too much for my liking

1 Like

I do love the look but it is a tad strong for me too…perfect would be surface blur module in DT…could still keep the grain but just smooth it out ever so gently…

1 Like

Don’t think of it as a photo, think of it as art. The noise is part of the aesthetic. It kind of reminds me of Moonrise – Mamaroneck, New York by Steichen.

3 Likes

Don’t make me do a playraw of this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like it. The noise seems an essential element of the image. I was reaching for the (physical) retouching paint box to dab out the dust spots that I always got on this type of print. De-dusting was always easier on grainy prints. But then I remembered, this is digital.

It may be interesting to experiment: exaggerate the noise, diminish the noise, allow some colour, perhaps just a single hue, whatever.

But the image, in my opinion, works very well as it is. Calm, placid, tranquil, ethereal. It is nearly abstract, but invites us into the scene.

3 Likes