Embroidery font effect

Hello,
Would anyone be able to tell me if there is a way to convert text into a embroidery font please. I want to add text that looks like embroidery to show customers before I put it onto their items.

regards

Paul - the term you’re looking for is Emboss. GIMP had tools, one called Bump Map, another called Emboss that can be used for this purpose through there are more ways to do what you want. A google or other search engine search for the terms “gimp text emboss bump” will result in multiple YouTube videos demonstrating steps to do what you want, eg,

To get a thread or fabric texture, use GIMP’s textures or fills to overlay that on the embossed text, eg,

Hope this helps.

Paul - my comments only get so far. I’m still researching this. There was for any older version of GIMP an add-on script that did exactly what you want. But it was written 10 years ago and no longer works.

Paul - TL;DR

What you want turns out to be not so easy, sorry. I’ve found a few resources that get you something like what you want, but not exactly what you want.

One of the following is a GIMP PlugIn (in case you don’t know, these are scripts written either in Scheme (.scm files) or Python (.py) files that one “installs” for use in GIMP by copying to a folder GIMP looks in for such files). Unfortunately, this plugin is a Python plugin. As you might expect, there is a problem. GIMP v2.10 has been around for a very long time (previous version was v2.8). Current versions are v2.10.34 (that 34 number increasing as GIMP developers make changes). But because v2 has been around a very long time, it uses a version of Python (v.2.7) that was long ago declared end-of-life in favor of Python v3 - and many operating systems no longer support it (security risk, etc.). The version of GIMP that supports Python v3 is not yet fully released (there are test versions GIMP v2.99.x one can download).

A web site page on installing GIMP plugins:

The problem here is that the scripts I’ve found are written for Python v2 so you’ll need a version of GIMP that can use Python v2. Here is a forum thread on gimp-forum.net with a post from Rich2005 that details how one can get a verion of GIMP that supports Python plugins:

Here is a forum thread on gimpchat.com that discusses this plugin script (again, look for Rich2005):

And a link to the script on gimpscripts.net:

I CONFIRM that if you download a version of GIMP that supports Python, that this plugin, pm_jean_texture_embroidery_text.py, does create a look of denim with embroidered thread on it. Unfortunately, it does not follow the same design as you wanted - that is, the “threads” are not aligned along the text, but look more like how a embroidery machine does this, with threads that “fill” the text strokes horizontally.

Here is another gimpchat.com thread that discusses how to do this using the GIMP GMIC plugin:

And a YouTube video that does the same:

The closest I could find to what you asked for is seen in this YouTube video where a new brush shape is created then stroked along a path. Though it would be fair bit of work to duplicate this along, say, your example text, it could be done:

Thanks so much for your help and time!