Emulate Film (B&W)

Hi.
First let me congratulate the authors, creators, coders, whatever on PhotoFlow. Partha recommended that I look at it, and it certainly looks good.

However, I do have one problem, or maybe I’ve picked up a bug. Emulate Film (B&W) doesn’t seem to work: all I get is Black (no white :frowning: ). I’m running version 0.2.6 on a Mac (both an iMac and a MacBook Pro under OSX 10.11.5 El Capitan). I’ve been looking to see where the film emulation presets are, but can’t find them.

Cheers,
Biff

2 Likes

Hi!

first of all, thanks a lot for your kind words for my project, I really appreciate. This kind of encouragement always gives me new motivations to keep the project growing.

Coming to the B&W film emulation issue, I confirm what you describe, and I have for the moment no clue of the reason, since the other presets work fine (at least on my OSX system).
Could you tell me if the rest of the film emulation presets work for you as well? Did you follow those instructions for installing the HaldCLUTs?

In any case, I will look into the problem as soon as I can, and hopefully I will soon be able to provide you a patched OSX installer for testing.
Meanwhile I have opened an issue on GitHub.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the OSX dmg image to install, so the instructions don’t seem to apply (not needing to compile anything). I tried to find the HaldCLUTs in the application package, but couldn’t (usually these things are in the Resources or Share sub-folder). I haven’t tested it fully, but I didn’t have a problem with the Colour Slide emulations.

Keep up the good work.
Regards,
Biff

The Film Emulation CLUTs are not included in the installer, because they are very large.
Next PhotoFlow version will use the new compressed CLUTs that @David_Tschumperle has introduced in the latest G’MIC version, but for 0.2.6 you need to use the old uncompressed CLUTs.

They are available from here and have to be unzipped and saved in the

$HOME/.gmic_film_presets/

folder.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve just tried it. Didn’t make any difference - still getting Black with no White :disappointed:

More information: the Black effect occurs as soon as the Emulate Film [B&W] layer is opened - set on ‘None’ (i.e. no emulation selected). I’ve had a quick look at the other Emulate Film layers. All seem OK except for Emulate Film [print films]. This does exactly the same as [B&W].

Strangely, there are some monochrome emulations in the other Emulate Film layers ([negative new] and [negative old]) and these work fine.

Hope this is useful.
Biff

I’ve found and fixed the bug with the B&W and Print Film presets, and pushed the changes to github.

If you are interested to test the fix, here is an “experimental” OSX version compiled from the current stable development branch.

In fact, this experimental version is likely to be more stable than 0.2.6, as well as it contains some new filters (shadows/highlights, defringe, hot pixels removal, …).

Thanks for reporting the issue!

1 Like

Well - tested and the Film Presets worked fine :relaxed:
Great stuff. Thanks

I’ll look forward to the next version.

Cheers,
Biff

1 Like