Epic sunset. An easy edit?

Sunset today in Rovinj Croatia.

Is this as an easy or a difficult edit? How do you interpret the colours?

Basic conversion with my work in progress raw converter program (unreleased, but will soon will be a command line application like dcraw):

DSC09163.ARW (23.9 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Edit:

less dark edit-

5 Likes

Sunsets are great for creativity. Filmulator developed, sharpened in GIMP.

Love how you can see a tiny ship on the horizon just in front of the sun. Thanks for the trip to Croatia!

6 Likes

Gimp 2.10.24

4 Likes

I’m having such fun with the log, then control-point curve two-fer:

Nice exposure, by the way; linear showed the defined ball of the sun…

2 Likes

ART

DSC09163.jpg.out.pp3 (14.6 KB)
RT 5.8 BETA. VISUAL WHITE BALANCE.A LITTLE POP COLOR SATURATED, BUT AS THE SAYING SAY, I AM AN ARTIST, I SEE SO)))

1 Like

DSC09163-1.jpg.out.pp3 (16.3 KB)
FUJI X TRANS 3 VELVIA SIMULATION + WHITE GRAY BALANCE IN RT 5.8 BETA

2 Likes

epic.sunset.easy.edit.arw.xmp (13.7 KB) darktable 3.7 Development

And one with Rawtherapee:

epic.sunset.easy.edit.pp3 (14.4 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

1 Like

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.6

DSC09163_03.ARW.xmp (17.0 KB)

A new try with a different process

RAW → 3 Tiff with exposure (-1EV, 0, +2 EV) → Luminance HDR → Tiff file → darktable 3.6

4 Likes

Beautiful photograph.
Because of the dynamic range, I produced three exposures from the raw - +2.60, 0.00, and -1.34. These were blended with enfuse and then into GIMP for some minor adjustments.

3 Likes

DSC09163.ARW.xmp (12.9 KB)

dt 3.6

DSC09163.ARW.xmp (6.6 KB)

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what lens was this shot with?

Anyway, this is my take on it. I went for a bit of a split toned look.

DSC09163.ARW.pp3 (15.3 KB)

3 Likes

I was so enamored with the basic image, here’s a rendition of ‘no-processing’, e.g. only black subtract, white balance, demosaic, and scaling the data to what would eventually be black and white. Oh, and the sRGB color and ~2.2 gamma tone applied at export:

This is usually where I start editing. Now, disclosure, my default proof processing applies a default filmic curve; if that doesn’t suit I’ll re-open the raw with the proof processing and modify to taste. With this image for my original rendition, I replaced that proof filmic curve with a log curve, then used a control point curve to shape the tone to taste. I’m doing that more often with high -DR images.

GIMP Mantiuk 2006 and Lab

4 Likes

I used the Industar 61 L/Z here. A 3-element M42 russian macro lens.

Did anything in the image stand out to you? Sharpness/contrast wise?

1 Like

Yes, I found it very sharp but in a pleasant, gentle and elegant kind of way as opposed to modern day sharpness which is clinical and cold.

1 Like

Ah, I had that lens but sold it. :grinning:

When i first glanced at your edit, I thought it looked over-cooked, but then I started to appreciate the texture of the waves, the painting-feel of your edit. LOVE IT!

I like the colors in the photo, but I struggle with finding any ‘meaningful’ composition in there.

Always find editing sunsets with the sun in the frame quite difficult. Clipping, colors going out of gamut large dynamic range to deal with.

This is my take with darktable, a brighter interpretation than most I guess.

DSC09163.ARW.xmp (33.3 KB)

3 Likes