Error trying to open GIMP

Hello, I need some assistance please and I can’t seem to find a way to contact Support. Today I tried opening GIMP 2.10.12 and I received and error message which reads: Gimp Message there was an error parsing the menu definition from image-menu.xml: failed to open file “d:program files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/menus/image-menu.xml”:input/output error

I don’t know how to fix this problem. Should I uninstall GIMP and re-install it? If I do, will I lose all of my art projects? I am desperately seeking some help.

• Is It normal that Gimp is on D: instead of C:? Is that a “portable” version?
  • is there a slash/backslash between d: and program (ie d:/program or d:\program instead of d:program?
  • If you use your navigator to go to d:program files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/menus/
    • Is there such a directory/folder?
    • Do you see image-menu.xml
    • Do you see any other something-menu.xml files there (there should be 33 such files)
1 Like

sounds like your image-menu.xml might be corrupted. You could try a reinstall it might work in this case, or if you think you can, replace that file with a good copy.

this might work if that it truly the issue.

1 Like

Your most pressing question - your images will be safe. They should be in your home folder with the extension xcf.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was able to find the GIMP discord server and someone suggested that I should go ahead with the re-installation. Thankfully, I can confirm that none of my projects were lost, and the issue was resolved. I noticed I did not have the latest update installed, so maybe that was part of the issue. Thank you again, everyone, for your replies.