Error when launching Natron

I can’t launch Natron - I have tried versions 2.3.11 up to 2.3.14. This is the error message I get consistently, something to do with Python. How do I fix this, can’t find anything Natron related on the web that refers to this error.

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: __ZNSt12length_errorD1Ev
Referenced from: /Applications/Natron.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libshiboken-python2.7.1.2.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib
in /Applications/Natron.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libshiboken-python2.7.1.2.dylib

What version of macOS are you running? Does the latest RC work?

https://github.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/releases/tag/v2.3.15-rc.10

Does older versions work?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/natron/files/OSX/

I don’t use Mac, but I do have an old Macbook running 10.7 Lion (to legally build software for Mac).

I get the same issue, also running the “Universal” build of the latest RC, I don’t know about the OSX 10.9+ build.

Can someone confirm the the available Mac builds works?

Hi, Getting the same issue on OSX 10.8.5, 10.9 and 10.10. Haven’t tried anything older than Natron 2.3.11 yet.

1 Like

The last version I’m able to run on OSX 10.7 is 2.2.7. Newer builds has the same issue as above (or other issues related to Qt). That’s as much I can test with the OSX version I have (The graphics card don’t even support OpenGL2, I know it’s crap, I just use it to build stuff).

2 Likes

ok thank you, downloading 2.2.7 to try - if it works I’ll work upwards from that as I’m not on OSX 10.7.

I just double checked my system with the installation requirements for Natron. Everything according to that list checks out, I’m on OpenGL 2.1, all the extensions are installed etc. There must be something else that’s required.

Yes 2.2.7 seems to be the highest that will work. I’m learning Natron so it will get me started. Thanks :slight_smile:

@garrettlynch can you please post a github issue?

Did you try with the latest 2.3.15RC binaries? Releases · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub
Please try the Universal (10.6+) as well as the 64bit (10.9+) binaries.

Reference to similar issue: MacPorts - Developer - Compiling against libc++ on 10.6 and using the binary on 10.7

A fix could be to ship libc++ with the 10.6 binaries.

The 10.9 binaries should work ok on 10.9+

10.9 works for me using the 2.3.15 RC11 Universal build. That symbol is missing only from the 10.7 and 10.8 libc++abi.dylib

Could you test again, and give the error message?

And can we continue that conversation on github? OSX: undefined symbol on OSX 10.7-10.8, missing libc++ and libc++abi on 10.6 · Issue #431 · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub

@garrettlynch this should be fixed in this binary release: https://github.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/releases/tag/v2.3.15-rc12
Unless I get some feedback from you, I will close the issue.

1 Like

Good to hear it will be fixed. I got it working on a newer OS but have since (very reluctantly) migrated to another node-based editing solution. This was because of the lack of sound in Natron and no real reasonable way to edit to sound which was a deal-breaker for me. I hope Natron will continue to be developed and at some point consider sound - if it does I’ll be back.

Sound is not an priority, Natron is not a NLE. You can however use the AudioCurve node (will be available in a future Natron release) to generate curve data for use in Natron. I will also look into JACK integration at some point, but there are more important things to work on the moment.

Natron is a community project with very limited resources, so feature requests has a low priority. You are more or less depending on that one of the developers want the feature, else it will probably not be worked on.