ETTR and how it relates to the scene-referred workflow and filmic

Neutral and Faithful were pretty close to one another, and quite honestly, there was only a slight difference with Standard. I’ll try with the reduced settings and see how it plays out. But it seems I’m already close to a match already

I can show people what I’ve come up with if there’s interest

I would definitely be interested to see what you’ve found to work the best.

1 Like

I’ve been reading more online and it sounds like the 50D is pretty well-known for having banding issues in shadows even at low ISO and the solution is to apply chroma noise reduction. Following the manual for denoise (profiled) I took the image of the column above and tried to correct just the chroma noise using wavelets and HSV color:

Original:
column_regular_1

One instance of denoise (profiled) removing chroma noise:

Second instance of denoise (profiled) removing luminance noise:

I know that you can now do both chroma and luminance noise reduction in a single instance of the module, but I applied two here so I could make the chroma noise reduction quite a bit stronger. This cleans it up a lot.

It’s really helpful to me to understand that even with a proper exposure and low ISO, it’s still possible to see this type of noise in shadows with this sensor (and that this type of chroma noise reduction can remove a lot of it).

Hi @garibaldi,

As a matter of curiosity: what if you no not use denoise (profiled) at all
— and invoke two instances of the contrast equalizer instead
(first instance = preset denoise, second instance = preset denoise chroma)?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

That’s a good question - I haven’t played with contrast equalizer very much so this is a good opportunity. I applied the denoise chroma preset as-is but ended up reducing the other instance’s settings quite a bit compared to the denoise preset since it seemed to reduce too many of the details. Here’s the result to compare to the images above that used denoise (profiled):

1 Like

That’s a good question

Me [modestly]: Oh, I know! (Using a very famous quote from Fawlty Towers.)

Actually, Contrast equalizer and Color balance have lately become my primary modules…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Nice, Fawlty Towers is great!

I posted an image with the type of noise I’ve been trying to work with here if anyone wants to take a look at a RAW example.