Everything flows (Panta Rei)

Very very nice!

A side note: Probably it’s my fault, but I don’t understand why whenever in Darktable you try to get some color recovered from the sky you always end up with a cyan sky. At least in Europe the sky has rarely a cyan nuance.

_1010814.RW2.xmp (9.4 KB)

2 Likes

@lightlover I love your works, mister.

1 Like

I suppose you edited the RAW image with Darktable. Would you like to share also your sidecar XMP file?
As I said, I like your edit and I’d love to have a closer look at the whole process you followed.

My fun in GIMP

1 Like

When I was young I painted and I always painted the sky as yellow because for my brain that is the color of the sky.

1 Like

Sorry, I just forgot.
Here it is :
_1010814.RW2.xmp (17.4 KB)

1 Like

_1010814.RW2.xmp (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

Fun fact, the algorithm is based on the tone equalizer in darktable. @agriggio adapted it for ART then @jdc ported the ART version to RawTherapee as a Local Adjustments tool, available in the current stable release. Soon it will be available as a global tool as @Jade_NL hinted. It’s a wonderful example of ideas spreading and evolving through the open source community.

2 Likes

Hi,

just to clarify: the main idea is stolen from darktable, but the regularisation (and pivot) part is independent. I think the analogous in dt is called “mask”, but I don’t know how that is implemented.

Thanks, I was not completely convinced by the edit I think I’ll have another go ^^ Even though I saw some very good edits already achieving what I aimed colour-wise and in term of contrast ! I quite like the cinematic effect of @Jade_NL crop as well

Exactly from 9Y ago, I’ve never been good at profile picture and did not feel like trying to do a selfy ^^
I’ve been really into Japan and ended up working there for 2 years ! I think I’ll go again but works and kids happen so not now and probably not for extended period.

Thanks for your comments !

Another version…

_1010814_02.RW2.xmp (24.1 KB)

2 Likes

_1010814.RW2.xmp (10.0 KB)

2 Likes

@anon42681393 , thank you for your nice comments!

I made another version, below I’ll explain why.

Your photo reminded me of a photo that was hanging on a wall in my parents’ house, taken by a friend of my father in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, near the Central Station.

As a very young boy I was fascinated by this photo, staring at it and waiting for the door on the left to open or waiting until someone (a princess??) appeared behind a window. That never happened, but I kept trying and trying over the years!

I have always been thinking that it was this very photo that opened my eyes for photography. The next and decisive step came when I visited with my high school class an exhibition in Museum Arnhem, also the Netherlands, with those famous photos by Brassaï taken in Paris in the (about) 1920s.

I bought myself a secondhand Praktica and shortly after an Opemus enlarger and since then photography is part of my life. :wink:

3 Likes

@paulmatthijsse I love this last version even more than your first one. It looks more true to reality while at the same time more evocative, if not dreamy. And the story behind this new elaboration of yours (and the old photo that hanged on your parents’ wall) is also quite fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

@paulmatthijsse Your edit it so effective that I’m considering to have it printed, framed in a cherry wood, and hanged on the wall of the living room.
Some day I will ask you for a printable copy.

1 Like

I find the sky color very cyan before my eyes adapt to the sunlight; after about 15 seconds I can positively see blue sky. Sometimes you want to glance outside to get an idea of sky color… it takes more than a glace for most eyes.

You’re welcome!

I’m trying to get my head around creating HDR images using Hugin. I thought this would be a good test image. so I duplicated it twice (i.e. 3 images) and adjusted the exposure to zero, 1.5 and 2.5 stops. I also corrected chromatic aberration and applied a lens correction. After much experimentation with the Hugin settings, this was the resulting image. The detail in the shadows has improved but there are some blown out highlights.

1 Like

Your experimentation seems to have achieved good results to me. The blown out highlights are also in the RAW so I don’t think you can avoid them. Thanks.