Evolution Of An Image

At the beginning of the year when the weather outside was dark, grey and cold I woke up one morning with a strong desire to see a very specific image: big, minimalistic, yellow beach, turqoise water, blue sky, white sailboats. Since I had absolutely zero chance to get my hands on an image like this I grabbed cardboard, scissors, glue and created this (mostly to not forget this idea):

The composition felt great, the style also but the cardboard thing was way too lifeless to make me enjoy it really. It was March and the weather was still terrible so I started painting to make the images become more alife. I was never good at that but for this simple image it kind of worked and multiple versions and styles were created.

I was happy, looked at the results with joy and forgot about it. Then came the summer holiday and we went to the coast. More as an accident rather on purpose I took this image and was immediately reminded of the original idea:

Of course it took me many attempts to finally get this:

It is not 100% what I wanted to get but I was surprised how close one can get from an “in the head” image to a photograph. I still have to print it to really say if it pleases me when on the wall.

9 Likes

Hi @DanielLikesDT these are great! The color and the way the grass frames the bottom or the boat in the firstd photograph are awesome. I’d hang that photo on the wall.

Looking back, do you feel like the cardboard and paiting helped prime your brain when you actually went out to shoot? Would you utilize this technique or laying things out with paper or cardboard again? If you did do it again, would you do anything differently?

I always enjoy these types of posts, so thank you so much for sharing.

1 Like

The paper/cardboard mock up is a good idea! I have been doing rough sketches of images I think I might want to make for a few months now. One thing that I neglect to do is get colors sorted in my head, and sometimes that has a big impact on the way a final image feels. Your mock up helps solve that part of the equation. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi
Great walk-through!
“Never good at that…” - wouldn’t be so sure. Not a useful thought.
Your images remind me of a piece by Belfast artist Markey Robinson. Don’t ask me which, he was prolific.