Exiv2 v0.26 has been released

I am very pleased to announce that v0.26 has been released and can be downloaded from http://exiv2.org

This is the largest revision of Exiv2 in the history of the project. I would like to thank Andreas, Niels, Thomas, Alan and other contributors. In particular, I would like to thank Ben for his contributions, solid support and help since he joined the project in August 2016. I’d also like to thank Pat (David) for his behind the scenes encouragement.

There is a short (4 minute) presentation about the release on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fv57Lbhmqg

The code for the project will in future be stored on GitHub:

$ git clone https://github.com/Exiv2/exiv2.git

16 Likes

Congrats to all the Exiv2 team!

1 Like

This is great news!

Will that repo be read-only, or perhaps exiv2 will finally migrate to git+github, please? :slight_smile:

Ben’s our expert on Git. I’m totally new to Git. We will be totally supporting Git. SVN is now history. Ben will grant write-access to team members and special friends such as you. When folks want to submit patches, they can make a pull request.

Is that what you would expect, or do you have something more/else in your mind?

1 Like

@clanmills :+1: for the release, and :+1: for the move to git and GitHub!

Thanks, Morgan. I try to give everybody what they want and many have asked for GitHub. However, I’ve never used Git and reluctant to do this on my own. Ben joined the team in August last year and knows git well. More importantly, Ben is a frequent and solid contributor. So now we’re all gits and life is good.

4 Likes

That sounds almost too good to be true :slight_smile:

Yeah, i think exiv2 not being git-based/not being on github the showstopper for me in a few cases.
Hopefully i’m not the only one.

If a help is needed with setting-up github-based CI’s, i guess i can help, i think i know a thing or two :slight_smile:

Our buildserver is Jenkins. I don’t know Git, however there are Git plugins available for Jenkins. I’ll deal with this in a week or two when I’ve had a break from Exiv2. If I run into difficulties, I might shout for help.

Incidentally, I’m a little disappointed in Jenkins. We’ve been using it for 3 years. It’s not as reliable as I would like. About 1 in 3 builds fail in the middle of a build on a Java/IO error that has been reported by many users for 2 or 3 years. I don’t understand the error. Jenkins just suddenly declares an EOF in the middle of the build and fails the build. It can occur on any platform. How hard can it be to listen on a socket for 5 minutes while a script is running on the builder?

The effort to investigate and move to build-bot or Travis or another CI system is daunting.

Is Jenkins all the way up to date?

Certainly we could help setup TravisCI if necessary.

Yes. I normally accept all Jenkins updates. I’ve heard good things about Travis. I’m not at the point of giving up on Jenkins. For the most part it’s fine. It has a nice UI and active community.

A couple of weeks ago, I updated from v2.53 to v2.54 and the system was totally broken. It could not execute any build over ssh. After 8 hours of messing with different versions and security settings, I got it working again with 2.46.1 (the current LTS). So frustrating. So unexpected. And then I started to think about the frequency of the EOF error.

Please forgive. I’m a little frustrated and disappointed. I’m letting off steam. Jenkins is fine.