Exporting high resolution pictures and local manipulation tool

I’m developing some images for a book on Blurb, they ask for a certain size and a certain resolution, having to resize all in some external editors sounds tricky and need a passage more, this means time.
After all RT is a great piece of software, sharpening and noise reduction modules are first class product.
Alsa color correction is quite easy and powerfull, local contrast and retinex works perfectly.
But not having the possibility to export in a certain size on a certain resolution… make no sense for me!
(A brush for local correction would be the perfect gift)

As you can see from the screenshot, I was expecting a 34x51 cm /300ppi image.
At the end I had a 72x200cm /72ppi…

Which means you need an (approx) 6000x4000 image. When printed at 300ppi resolution, it will result in 6000/300 x 4000/300 inches, i.e. 20x13.33 inches, i.e. 50.8x33.8 cm…

Or perhaps you are asking that the intended PPI is part of the image metadata?

If this is the case, this should do (assuming your image is actually 6000x4000):

$ exiftool -XResolution=20 -YResolution=13.3 -ResolutionUnit=in FILENAME.tif

So what you’re really asking for is not setting some metadata tag, but changing the pixel resolution of an image to fit a given physical size at a given pixel density. That is not easily doable yet. Keep an eye out on issue #54.

There must be something I’m missing… :thinking:
sure it would be convenient to have this in RT, but if you know the PPI, determining the required size in pixels is not that hard, isn’t it?

@agriggio it’s not easily doable in RT. You’d either need to whip out the calculator.exe, or abuse the crop tool’s PPI calculation. Neither is user-friendly.

Ok, found how to do it.
CROP panelworks only exporting a jpg, tif comes out at 72, strange…

It could work… tif, would be better, but it works.
@Morgan_Hardwood Morgan, are you the engineer behind RT?

@Gianni_Saccardo JPEGs come out with XResolution=YResolution=300. TIFFs don’t have those tags set at all. The PPI setting in the Resize tool does not get saved as a tag.

@agriggio and I are from the RawTherapee project, there are others.

I’ll see what I can do about #54 once I’m done with a few other issues.

Thanks a lot for your help.
I think that RT worth gold, so developping it is a great (and hard job).
@agriggio I think you are italian, right?
Tell me how may I contribute (not only economically) to enhance this wonderful project.
I see a great potential in it!

I’m sure @agriggio has his own list of ways to help, but my list is:

1. Use the software
  2. Report bugs and issues that you encounter and have the patients to work through the issues.
  3. Produce quality works with the software and share that work, telling others about your toolchain
  4. More actively promote the software, write tutorials, make demo videos, present to your local camera club
  5. Participate in develoemt by making feature requests
  6. Triage bugs, help new users find solutions to issues
  7. Write code
  8. Donate money
3 Likes

Sorry @paperdigits, I didn’t understood that you were in the team. Beg your pardon.
Your list is very precious to me (point 1, 8, 5 are done; 3 and 4 are in my plan but need some hard training before; point 2 and 6 will come while working; step 7… sorry I0m not able to do it :frowning: )

Hi @Gianni_Saccardo, thanks a lot for your (willingness to) help! The list by @paperdigits is not meant to be either complete or necessary, it is just showing some examples… so, no need to cover them all :slight_smile:
I’d add another one too: if you have a colour target, you can take a look at this:
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/last-call-for-color-target-shots-for-inclusion-in-rawtherapee-5/3080

P.S: yes, I’m Italian

Gianni, there is a separate branch of Rawtherapee which supports local adjustments. If you search the forum for LOCALLAB you’ll find masses of stuff and how to build/download.

I’m “on the team” in the same way that you are: I use the software. I can’t write code, so I don’t.

You don’t need to do every point on the list, and they’re listed in order of easiness (unless you’re rich, then please donate lots of money!)

Being italian, I’m not rich :wink:

Sorry for asking a OT question: is this a shot of Santa Caterina del Sasso?

Exactly, it is Santa Caterina del Sasso!