External editor not working on windows if filename contains space(s)

Using 1.17.2 on win 11 22H2.
In Editor clicking on the “External Editor” icon opens Gimp 2.10.32, as expected.
However Gimp is not able to load the file if there is a spac e in the name.

Gimp Error Messages:
Opening ‘V:\Bilder\2022\2022-12-15\raw\Ulm,’ failed: Error opening file V:\Bilder\2022\2022-12-15\raw\Ulm,: No such file or directory

Opening ‘C:\Users\Othmar\Programme\ART\St.’ failed: Error opening file C:\Users\Othmar\Programme\ART\St.: No such file or directory

Opening ‘C:\Users\Othmar\Programme\ART\Michael’ failed: Error opening file C:\Users\Othmar\Programme\ART\Michael: No such file or directory

and so on. The filename was
“Ulm, St. Michael, etc.rw2”

It looks as if every space is interpreted as a new filename. My Diagnosis: Enclosing " " re missing.

If using a custom command line

“C:\Users\xxxxx\yyyyy\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe”

the complete filename is sent to Gimp, but now it fails because of the code page if names contain umlauts such as ä or ß

Don’t have a reasonable solution for this. Just some addional info.

The space thing seems to be a gimp issue, as this also happens from the terminal. For Affinity Photo, spaces in the filenames are no problem.

When I add " " to the file path, it works. From the terminal there is also no problem with umlauts.

But also with AP there is the umlaut-issue within ART.

grafik

grafik

Thanks for reporting. It should work now, but can you please test with the latest master?

On Linux a filename containing spaces and an ümlaut opens fine.

Is there a way to get the compiled version? I am glad to test ist, but I do not have the neccessary compilers set up.

Thanks for your work
Othmar

gaaned just uploaded a new build. Seems good now, umlauts and spaces work (as long as there is not more than 1 space in a row [which would be crazy]).

@OMarti
gaaned92 regularly uploads dev builds. https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/ART-W64NightlyBuilds/
Just been updated today, so you can test the fix.

Edit: Well, now official 1.18 is there. :upside_down_face: :man_shrugging:

Thanks for the link. I was not aware of it.
I downloaded it and tested it.
Both problems were fixed, the spaces problem and the Umlauts.
Thanks for fixing it!