Extract History Stack Data from exported JPG file??

So just wondering if anyone knows an answer for this query. I know that my history data (xmp) is backed up in my jpg metadata when I export and I can load that as a sidecar to retrieve my edits for that exported image however is there a way using exiftool or other means to extract that back to xmp files so I can do a batch recovery of this info…I have on several occasions lost edits following upgrades to new builds of DT and it might be nice to be able to restore them all rather than one at a time by loading the jpg as a sidecar. I have found it to be most often happening when I revisit some older edits with a new build of DT and open a folder sometimes it is not obvious at first that it has happened and sometimes I am not even aware until I start to try to re-edit and then I see the image xmp file is reset. Sometimes only some files are reset likely indicating that they are older incompatible edits. There has been a constant evolution over the last few years of the database and the xmp file versions as the pipeline has been changed and modified and so it can be easy to end up with corrupt xmp files. I do back up my images…perhaps not as often as I need to. I tend to do a folder or group at a time and export when done so I do have the information if I need it but just one file at a time. I was under the false impression that I could recover versions from Onedrive and I can going back several years now but again only one at a time. In fact by looking I can see when the problem happened as all of a sudden I have a 1K xmp instead of a 15 one but Onedrive only lets you restore one file from a previous version at a time. SO basically if I could rebuild the edits from my exported files in a batch I could replace them more easily when and if I notice the corruption.

Maybe answered my own question…going to try the command line proposed here to see how it works…

https://exiftool.org/examples.html

2 Likes